15 comments on “Words About Crayons, Redux

1. Jacqueline - August 4, 2008 at 4:15 am -

Great article. I always skim through Mental Floss and Wired ath the bookstore just to see if there are any articles by the amazing Pauly D. I hadn’t seen this one yet.

I noticed in the new crayons I bought my kids the other day that there is a color called Best Friend. What color do you think of when you hear BEST FRIEND?

2. Jacqueline - August 4, 2008 at 4:23 am -

PS…

scut·tle·butt (skÅ­t’l-bÅ­t’)
    n.
    Slang Gossip; rumor.
    Nautical
    A drinking fountain on a ship.
    A cask on a ship used to hold the day’s supply of drinking water

3. Jerry - August 4, 2008 at 6:34 am -

I think maybe Jacqueline is schoolin’ you, Paul. How does that make you feel? In crayon terms what color do you feel right now? What color do you feel Jacqueline is?

Do you know they sell washable crayons now? Crayola foolishly conning kids into thinking there is NO mistake that is permanent.

4. Pauly D - August 4, 2008 at 9:22 am -

Jerry – I don’t know about you, but I suspect Jacque has never heard of the political and racial drinking fountains that caused crayola to change the names of their crayons.

It was a total nightmare that we must never forget.

5. Jacqueline - August 4, 2008 at 10:37 am -

stop talking about me like I’m not even here!!!!! (runs off sobbing like a whiny scuttlebutt)….

6. Eric - August 4, 2008 at 5:47 pm -

The crayon names are totally out of control, and I don’t mean in a good way.

7. Susan - August 7, 2008 at 6:02 pm -

There are still so many “incorrect” crayons in the box. Why don’t they remove “Big Head Blue” or “Mayonaise-O-Phobe Mauve”?

8. Stacey - August 10, 2008 at 12:01 pm -

Too much emphasis is put on the names of crayons. What’s the point? The kids who love crayons most can’t read yet, so it’s not like they know what the names say. And even if they did, what kid knows how to pronounce cerulean?

“Can I borrow your cer . . . um your . . . c . . . your blue crayon? No, not that blue. The other blue. No, not the dark blue. That blue.”

9. jacquie - September 25, 2008 at 5:26 pm -

remember the good ol’ days when Pauly had enough time for us little people??? (sigh)

10. Amy - September 26, 2008 at 6:55 pm -

Pauly, where have you been? You barely post anymore. You must be working on a HUGE project or something. What gives?

You are missed, you know.

11. MJBUtah - October 9, 2008 at 12:06 pm -

@jacquie I even remember the good ol’ days when Pauly would take the hint and at least respond in the comments. I miss those days.

12. hadashi - October 11, 2008 at 3:53 pm -

we all miss those days. perhaps someone’s going to have to set some churro bait and lure him back into the open.

13. Jacqueline - October 17, 2008 at 11:47 am -

(sigh).. Just stopping by to say I miss thee Pauly D! Hope you’re having a magical time out there where the magic happens!

14. em - November 5, 2008 at 4:45 pm -

hellooo-oo-o-o

*crickets chirp*

15. jerry - November 12, 2008 at 11:23 am -

wow, not even as historical an event as the election can bring forth the wisdom of Paul. All good things must end…