It’s Time To Retire The Oh My Godder

“Oh My God.”

It is a phrase that originally went hand and hand with things like alien spaceship landings, flying superheroes and huge catastrophic flipping ocean liners. But lately, it seems to be a phrase that just about any writer loves to use to apply what I like to call “the amazing” to things that are sort of, kind of, pretty much not amazing at all.

From overflowing sinks to someone seeing their name on the big jumbotron in New York City’s time square, it is a sound byte that is supposed to make us not change the channel because we think something amazing is coming up.

Sad thing is…the “Oh My Godder” isn’t much of any amazing…anymore.

The “Oh My Godder” has always been at the forefront of narrative excitement and wonder. From the film 2001 there was the classic “Oh My God…it’s full of stars,”. From FOX’s classic over-user of the “Oh My God” 24 you could always expect a good “Oh, my God, what did you do? What have you done? [shouts] What have you done!?”

But somewhere along the way, the “Oh My Godder” got taken advantage of.

A simple search on IMDb (The Internet Movie Database) reveals startling results. The phrase “Oh My God” is now as pedestrian as “Oh, hey” and “Did you want fries with that?”

Which only makes me think it’s time to retire the Oh My Godder.

Why not send the amazing phrase to the Cooperstown of classic one-liners in entertainment media? Why not challenge the writers out there to come up with something more original and more entertaining? Why not treat the Oh My Godder with the respect it deserves and retire it like a Hall of Famer, putting it out to pasture in the most respectful of ways?

Oh my God. Why can’t we all just give Oh My God a chance?

Because now, Oh My God has lost its luster. When a show is about to go to commercial and I hear the words “Oh My God” (especially with unscripted reality shows who use the phrase ad nauseam) I am no longer on the edge of my seat wondering what could possibly be coming up after the break. I am no longer freaking out because something amazing must have happened for why else would somebody have uttered the phrase? I am jaded, Mr. Oh My Godder. You do not excite me like you did the first time my ears heard you.

Yeah, yeah Mr. Writer — criticize all you want but what are your solutions? If you’re going to attack the Abraham Lincoln of movie amazement utterings (much like Lincoln freed the slaves, the Oh My Godder freed our imaginations), give us some better alternatives.

Ask and ye shall receive:

• “Well sick a dog on me!”
  • “Goo-yah!”
  • “Whabajabanoodlepuss!?”
  • “Hahaha, noooooooooooooo!”
  • “Now there’s something I couldn’t have possibly have expected was going to happen!”
  • “Tsk, tsk — now you’re gonna have to really change your underwear!”
  • “See my face? Look at it! No. MY face. Yeah! You see it? You know what that means? I’m telling you…you have to see the look on my face!!!”

Enough said, right?

9 comments on “It’s Time To Retire The Oh My Godder

1. Dave2 - July 6, 2008 at 8:32 am -

Yes, but it has been given new life, because people are dragging the TXT abbreviation into Real Life. I am starting to hear people (literally) say “O. M. G.” in public.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Speaking of which, can we finally retire “I don’t know whether to laugh or cry?”

2. Pauly D - July 6, 2008 at 9:35 am -

Dave2 – I would be pleasantly surprised and giddy if movies and TV shows started using “O.M.G.” as actual spoken words. That would be, to say the least, hilarious.

3. Pauly D - July 6, 2008 at 9:36 am -

And on the subject of “I don’t know whether or laugh or cry” — I would agree. I would also ask that you add to that list:

“Did you hear that?”
    “I could have sworn I just heard something.”
    “Wait. Wait one second here.”

and

“I love you too.”

4. Stacey - July 7, 2008 at 6:21 am -

Watch a single episode of any of those home makeover shows and you’ll go into Oh My God overload.

5. jerry - July 7, 2008 at 8:12 am -

Damn, Stacey, you bursted my bubble (is that a retirable phrase?). I was developing a new home makeover show called “Oh My God” or “OMG” for advertising and show listing purposes. Here’s the hook, though. Homeowners come home to see absolutely nothing was done overnight except for their furniture got rearranged. You see, I think most people have no clue how to use what they have properly. Why waste network or sponsor cash on new stuff. Just get someone in to rearrange. I know, I know what you are thinking – OMG! I can’t believe how simple that is!

6. Jacqueline - July 10, 2008 at 10:36 am -

While we’re retiring words and phrases, let’s do away with HILARIOUS, INSANE and AMAZING!!! Why must everything, and I mean every. mundane. thing. be dramatized with the overusage of a few good words.

And are people really laughing out loud when they type LOL??? Or better yet? Are they really rolling on the floor laughing thier asses off??? I would like to see that on a webcame, rather than read ROTFLMAO!!!! Wouldn’t you? Now that would be hillarious and quite possibly make me LOL!

7. Eric - July 21, 2008 at 6:58 pm -

I think “Oh My God” has been killed off by the one-two punch of reality shows and the “OMG” abbreviated version. The old standby “Holy Sh**” still has some life left in it, though.

8. Anne - August 3, 2008 at 11:56 pm -

The Boy, age 9, began saying OMG two years ago.

Questioned, he announced he knows SEVERAL languages, including (and I quote) American, Dude, Texting and “the Dora the Explorer one. The counting and color parts, anyway.”

9. treespotter - August 8, 2008 at 8:48 am -

some indonesian kids thought OMG is actually a word. Now that i’ve learned the truth, perhaps i should tell them about this.