Catching Another India-Based Technical Assistance Representative In A Lie

Me: “What’s your name?”

Him: [In Indian Accent] “Rick.”

Me: “Rick…what?”

Him: “Rick P. I cannot give out more information than that.”

Me: “And you’re based where…?”

Him: [In an Indian accent nowhere near resembling any accent from Texas] “Dallas, Texas.”

Me: “What kind of things do you do for fun in Dallas, Texas…Rick?”

Him: “I like cowboys.”

Me: “So, what — you go to the rodeo?”

Him: “I’m sorry, what?”

Me: “You said you liked cowboys.”

Him: “Yes, very much.”

Me: “I asked if you liked rodeos.”

Him: “I like cowboys.”

Me: “And you do cowboys for fun in Dallas, Texas?”

Him: “Exactly.”

21 comments on “Catching Another India-Based Technical Assistance Representative In A Lie

1. Ralph - October 5, 2007 at 11:26 am -

That’s really enlightening. I suspected my Dish Network rep was pulling my leg when he said he was in “Denver” – despite sounding like Apu and having the small-talk skills of an android. I wish I had seem this blog entry before I made the call – it could have been so much more fun!

2. monkeyinabox - October 5, 2007 at 11:41 am -

This could have made a juicy podcast (hint, hint). What’s up Pauly D? Have you been working on a top-secret project that you are going to unleash on us soon? Or did you do a Paris Hilton and spend some time in the slammer? WFME readers need to know!, and knowing is half the battle.

3. Pauly D - October 5, 2007 at 11:46 am -

Monkey – Things are in the works, that’s for sure. Hoping to have some wondrous announcements in the coming weeks!

4. jacquie - October 5, 2007 at 8:15 pm -

You aren’t a big fan of the DO NOT CALL LIST, are you? I’m sure if you subscribed, there would be all kinds of fun to be lost for you and us. Thanks for your self sacrifice.

Wondrous huh? You don’t say.

5. Jennifer Lankenau - October 6, 2007 at 1:23 pm -

sounds like most of the conversations I overhear when riding the bus. Doesn’t it make the best blogging material though?

6. nanette - October 6, 2007 at 3:45 pm -

Hee, hee…

7. Amy - October 6, 2007 at 6:16 pm -

What if “Rick” wasn’t lying? What if he really DOES do cowboys for fun in Dallas, Texas?

8. Karen - October 8, 2007 at 9:08 am -

Why do they try to trick us with those “American” names? So stupid. I know your name is not Tommy. Let me call you Sanjay. It’s ok.

9. nic - October 8, 2007 at 9:32 am -

Hello, my name is Amilcah. I am coming from Pennsylavania. Perhaps I can be assist you in your techno difficulty.

10. sandra - October 8, 2007 at 10:14 am -

I really wish you could answer all my calls.

11. dgm - October 8, 2007 at 8:44 pm -

i think he’s lying! he totally sounds like he’s from el paso.

12. Kathleen - October 9, 2007 at 4:14 pm -

everyone’s comments are cracking me up! 😀

13. Danielle LaFleur - October 18, 2007 at 11:29 am -

OMG that totally kind-of happened to me!

Him: “Hi, my name is Avul Pakir Jainulabhudin Adbul Kalam, how can I help you?”

Me: “I’m sorry, what was your name again?”

Him: “My name is Avul Pakir Jainulabhudin Adbul Kalam, how can I help you?”

Me: “Wow, that’s a really long name, how do you fit in the little boxes when filling out paper forms?”

Him: “We don’t have paper forms in India. We use computers. How can I help you?”

Me: “Really? You’re in India? That’s so hot! Soooo… do you do that karma sutra thing?”

Him [sighing]: “I’m not sure that is an appropriate question.”

Me: “Oh, yeah, no, I mean I was just thinking, you know, that, well you did ask how you could help me and now that I know you are from India I’m just thinking… I mean it’s been awhile for me….and uhh….”

Him: [interrupting] “I’m sorry, my name is Rick. Rick P. How can I help you?”

*True Story!*

14. Patty Cakes - October 18, 2007 at 7:37 pm -

I could not agree with you more my friend. My mother’s last name is Hughes. If I had a dime for every time a telemarketer called and asked to speak with Mrs. Hughess (pronounced Hugg’ hess) I swear I’d be rich!

15. Catherine - November 2, 2007 at 9:20 pm -

I’m sure he didn’t mean the lie ‘cowboys’. I think he meant the lie ‘the [Dallas] Cowboys’. Especially for cred with a fellow dude. It just would have made things a lot funnier if he was an Indian female named Dhebi.

🙂

16. Kristy - November 24, 2007 at 9:57 am -

To be fair, there is a very popular club in Fort Worth called Cowboy’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were others like it in the metroplex.

Truthfully, I don’t see what made you so gung ho about proving him wrong about being in Dallas. Or being “Rick,” who really cares?

17. callcenter guy - November 26, 2007 at 12:43 pm -

Dont be so harsh on these guys. These fellows are just
    making a living.

Perhaps the fault lies in the American companies that outsource
    their work to save a few measly dollars and f*cked americans
    good.

And danielle la fleur whatever that means should go get
    a life
    “Avul Pakir Jainulabhudin Adbul Kalam”
    the name she refers is that of the former Indian President
    a good man and a scientist and i seriously doubt whether
    a call center fellow would give out a name like that.

She is a la belle dame sans merci I can tell you that.

18. wannabedesi - November 26, 2007 at 11:34 pm -

You know, they’re actually trained to try and speak in American accents, and to lie about their location because of racial prejudices. It’s funny but Americans don’t like our jobs being outsourced and yet how many Americans are willing to work at the sucky jobs the Indians have for minimum wage?

They’re only doing the jobs we’re unwilling to do.

And you know what, a min. wage job here in the US in India is enough to pay for a years worth of rent. They make it work. Really they should be commended for having to put up with people like danielle le fluer.

19. Mr. Candid - November 28, 2007 at 11:50 pm -

I don’t have a problem with U.S. companies outsourcing tech support to India or wherever, but I do have a problem when I get someone who is not very fluent in english and speaks with such a heavy accent that I am unable to understand them…it’s very frustrating!!

20. Ex Callcenter Chick - December 1, 2007 at 5:27 pm -

They’re only doing the jobs we’re unwilling to do.

Wannabedesi, are you sure you know what you’re talking about?

I was laid off some years back from a large call center… I made 42K a year.

Where exactly are the “minimum wage” phone techs these days?

21. Desi - December 1, 2007 at 11:18 pm -

Recently, I had to call AT&T for tech support late at night. The tech support guy said his name was Sylvester- the accent was obvious. There are a lot of christians in India, but Sylvester would be a rare name – trust me, I know.
    Anyway, I played along initially. The problem required some downloads and computer reboots which meant some lengthy pauses in the conversation. During one such pause, I could not resist asking “Your name is not really Sylvester, is it?”. Cue long silence, followed by “No, its not” from him.
    He told me his real name and the Indian city he was located. He also told me that they are not allowed to do that (admit to their real names). But most relevant to this post, he told me they are asked to pick American/English names because the outsourcing (i.e. American) company requires it, ostensibly to “make their US customers feel more comfortable”. Surely, some committee somewhere came up with this brilliant idea completely ignoring the issue of accent, or maybe the guy was just lying.
    Just last week however, during a similar tech support call (with lengthy pauses), I asked the tech support supervisor lady if that claim made by “Sylvester” was true. She said yes, although its changing now. Her accent was unmistakably American. I did not doubt her name.