First, listen to this.

Sound familiar?

That’s probably because just about one-third of all new network and cable television shows have used this “extremely popular” no-longer-new song by Peter Bjorn and John and placed it in the soundtracks of their pilot or 2nd episodes of their new shows in an attempt to add some awesome street cred to their productions. Whether you’re Gossip Girl, Big Shots or a slew of others…they’re all getting their Bjorns on.

It’s just too bad none of these music producers are talking to any of the other music producers or else they’d all suddenly realize they’re pulling the same songs, from the same list, from the same popularity scales.

And it’s driving me crazy.

13 comments on “A Brief Post Outlining My Most Recent Problems With Today’s TV Soundtrack Hipness

1. Dave2 - October 2, 2007 at 10:59 pm -

Hey! Pauly is alive! After your last entry, I was worried that a cereal killer had attacked you or something! 🙂

Song repetitions like this run in cycles. And, as annoying as it is, I think I’d still rather have a bunch of shows using the same song at the same time, rather than watching a show try to claim a song that somebody else has already used more effectively. The latest example I have is Sia’s haunting “Breathe Me” which was masterfully used as the series finale for “Six Feet Under.” Recently “Bionic Woman” tried to use it, and they really shouldn’t have… especially since they didn’t even come close to “Six Feet Under.”

Oh well. Somebody is getting paid!

2. Laaw-yuhr - October 3, 2007 at 5:28 am -

What I hate even more than everyone using the same songs is the way music has become an emotional shorthand on television. The CSI shows and Cold Case are the biggest offenders, and I’m so tired of the way these shows blare some Coldplay during a supposedly emotional scene instead of writing dialogue. Cheap.

3. Jerry - October 3, 2007 at 9:11 am -

The conspiracy theorist in me says the entertainment industry is a vertical monopoly and these songs are forced onto show producers to help sell otherwise mediocre music — just wait until a sweeps week episode when Peter Bjorn and John guest star and lip sync this diddy at Gossip Girls’ favorite Latte spot.

And Dave2 I need to disagree with you. I think the Bionic Woman is close to, if not already, six feet under.

4. Michelle - October 3, 2007 at 9:14 am -

Just curious, what is your opinion on shows like “How I met your mother” using all music for the episode from the new albums of the guest stars? (Mandy Moore last week and Enrique Iglesias this week) I can’t decide if I am upset about that or not.

5. Pauly D - October 3, 2007 at 9:19 am -

Dave2 – That doesn’t surprise me that Bionic Woman repurposed old music seeing as though the show itself is a blatant “repurposing” in the first place. Get ready for next week’s episode in which they use A Flock of Seagull’s “I Ran”.

Michelle – I’m against all blatant product placement. Did you see the premiere episode of Heroes this season? In the first five minutes Claire’s father gave her a brand-new 2008 Nissan Rogue and Claire says, “Oh My Gosh! The Rogue!?” It was very very sad.

6. Michelle - October 3, 2007 at 10:06 am -

I noticed that too, we had a little discussion about that over at Nickerson’s blog the next day. Notice this week they didn’t refer to it by brand?

7. Melanie - October 3, 2007 at 10:50 pm -

I was just thinking about that very song a couple of days ago. I friggin’ hate it, and when I heard it in the pilot of “Gossip Girl,” it sent me over the edge. Aaaaagggghhh!

8. Jennifer Lankenau - October 3, 2007 at 11:39 pm -

I haven’t had access to cable for about 6 months…I see I’m not missing anything much. Though now I do spend an unhealthy amount of time obsessing about the daily New York Times crossword puzzle. Ive come to the conclusion that the editors are a bunch of sadists.

9. beth - October 5, 2007 at 1:04 pm -

I really wish tv and movies would stop ruining music I like by playing it to death / beating me over the head with it.

10. Danielle - October 8, 2007 at 8:59 am -

“The Rogue!” moment on Heroes elicited uncomfortable laughter, followed by an audible sigh from me.

I have no idea what The Kids These Days are listening to, so I’m completely ignorant to the songs on TV, save my general distaste for most of them. Then again, my favorite band is Hanson, so I should probably just shut up altogether.

11. Kathleen - October 9, 2007 at 4:13 pm -

not a fan of product placement either…

12. TheMedium - October 11, 2007 at 9:04 am -

I was living in a fool’s paradise thinking this song somehow manged to slip under the mainstream radar (it was originally released more then a year ago) until yesterday when to my dismay I heard it on the worst corporate radio station in the world

13. gretchen - October 19, 2007 at 6:40 pm -

I am the ultimate street-cred ruiner.

I put “Young Folks” on my iPod back in February 2007. I am a stay-at-home mom of six children living in a mediocre suburb of Denver, Colorado. How’s that for a buzz-killer?