The Final Paragraph From My Other Recently Completed Novel “Mars Outpost Alpha”

Commander Henslaugh looked through the portal window, gazing out at the rust-colored expanse. The ruins of the Fleklar’s alien mother ship still lay smoking among the rest of Henslaugh’s crew. Henslaugh couldn’t help but wonder to himself, had he stayed on Moon Outpost Zeta, never applied for a promotion and been satisfied with the quiet life of a terraforming coordinator — might things have turned out differently? Would the onslaught of alien ships have ever found their outpost here on Mars? Henslaugh turned away from the portal (and the wreckage) and sat down on his cot, in the corner of the two-hundred square foot pod — the only pod still being supplied with oxygen. It was anyone’s guess which would come first — his death or his rescue? Henslaugh wiped the morbid thought from his mind. There were better things to do. Like play Dance Dance Revolution: Universe Edition 2.0. And with that, Henslaugh turned on the game console, booted up the game, and laid out the elaborate touch pad floor throw. And as the hip hop beats of Kalooloo’s “Century 29” began playing, Henslaugh got to dancing. Despite the lack of oxygen. Because for Henslaugh…dancing was his life. Next to terraforming. And coordinating. And defeating evil aliens. Yes… Dancing was his life.

11 comments on “The Final Paragraph From My Other Recently Completed Novel “Mars Outpost Alpha”

1. kartooner - May 27, 2007 at 8:28 am -

Kind of unrealistic Paul. I mean, we all know he’d really be playing Guitar Hero.

2. Pauly D - May 27, 2007 at 8:29 am -

Kartooner – This is my novel and my world — I say what’s real or not.

3. kartooner - May 27, 2007 at 8:35 am -

As an unpaid critic of all things, I’d just like to point out that this isn’t my job.

Rather, it was just a constructive, albeit “realistic” criticism. Would the protagonist play DDR over Guitar Hero? I think not.

Your world is full of silly things.

4. Pauly D - May 27, 2007 at 8:36 am -

Kartooner – Who’s to say Guitar Hero even exists in the future? See, what I did was make-up a future-version of Dance Dance Revolution. But Guitar Hero? You think some guy on a Mars Outpost would still be playing some old-antiquated video game like that?

I think not.

5. Wordmaven - May 27, 2007 at 8:42 am -

Ooh – what are the skills required to be a terraforming coordinator? What are the wages? Uh, and what is it anyway?

6. Pauly D - May 27, 2007 at 9:17 am -

Wordmaven – A “terraformer” is someone who takes a dead planet like Mars and changes the planet’s earth and atmosphere so it’s possible for people to live there.

7. Dave2 - May 27, 2007 at 10:53 am -

And now I’m going to stay up all night wondering about whether or not Henslaugh got rescued. Though I suppose that’s not really the point… his love of Dance Dance Revolution transcends life and death… I just tend to worry about things like this.

8. Pauly D - May 27, 2007 at 11:07 am -

Dave2 – Fortunately, the answer to that will be revealed in Book Three in the Mars Outpost Series.

9. kartooner - May 27, 2007 at 5:44 pm -

The way I see it, Henslaugh probably has no chance of being rescued.

Let’s say he notices a rescue unit coming his way, yet he’s absorbed in whatever game he’s playing. I’m being vague because I still can’t believe that it would be DDR, of all things.

Now, if he were playing Guitar Hero he could just put the guitar accessory down and then shut the system off. Easy, right? There wouldn’t be any complications.

With DDR, he has to step off the pad, roll it up (or bunch it up) and toss it in the corner and then turn off the console – an extra step that will prevent his rescue.

Let’s just say, hypothetically-speaking, that you were to come up with a revised edition of this book. Might you consider then to replace DDR with Guitar Hero and end this pointless debate?

10. Pauly D - May 27, 2007 at 7:18 pm -

Kartooner – First of all, I’ve played Guitar Hero and DDR. Whenever someone rings my doorbell or the phone rings (the equivalent of being startled by rescue ships on Mars), I have escaped the DDR scenario much quicker than the Guitar Hero scenario. That’s because in Guitar Hero, you have a guitar strap around your body and you have to remove the guitar, duck through it, and then put the guitar down. When stopping DDR, you just step off the mat. Henslaugh wouldn’t roll up anything, he’d just run to the portal, set off the distress beacon, and voila!

So unfortunately, I have to disagree.

11. jacquie - May 29, 2007 at 4:01 am -

Does anyone else find it extremely ironic (and disturbing) that a person who calls himself a ‘wordmaven’, didn’t know the definition of the word ‘terraforming’?