Today’s Ironic Vanna White Story About No Make-Up and Sushi

Vanna White is old.

You’d never know it from watching the gloriously shiny Wheel of Fortune, because much like Oprah Winfrey, she’s got one hell of a make-up artist caking on the powdery-goodness on a daily basis. In fact, I would potentially even go so far as to say that when I see Vanna White on TV — she’s still looking pretty damn good after all these years. And to top it off, I might even say that Vanna White has made me up my “age quotient” when considering what women are still date-able by society’s standard.

Well, that is — until I saw her without make-up.

Already I can hear the haters and Vanna White fans starting to get all medieval on me (along with the make-up haters/whale blubber lovers). Yes. I get it. Women don’t always have to wear make up. In fact, I’m not even here to tell you that Vanna White looks older without make-up or to vocalize some great new bumper sticker saying like “No Make-Up? Break-up!” No. The fact that she went out in her down time to a sushi restaurant to enjoy herself without caking on the shiny goodness has nothing to do with this post.

But it does have something to do with the sushi.

Vanna White: [Looking at sushi that’s just been delivered to her] “I don’t know about the presentation.”
Friend: “It looks fine to me.”
Vanna White: “Their other place does a much better job dressing up the sushi. Looks prettier…more like art.”
Friend: “All that matters to me is how good it tastes.”
Vanna White: “Oh, it’s good sushi. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m just saying — if you only do one thing and that’s what you’re known for, when you bring it out into public — it should look good.”
Friend: “I guess I see your point.”

And so did I. Ironically. Metaphorically. Hysterically.

So maybe if Vanna White treated her own “out in public presentation” theory with the kind of fervor with which she addresses the sushi-dressup coefficient, then maybe she could put some blush and lip liner on before heading out into public where all her Wheel of Fortune fans expect to see her looking like she does on TV…and not when she wakes up in the morning after a sleepless night.

You know?

I’m just sayin’.

15 comments on “Today’s Ironic Vanna White Story About No Make-Up and Sushi

1. James Cooper - January 31, 2007 at 8:35 am -

Makes sense to me, Paul, makes perfect sense to me.

I’ve never encountered Vanna White but I did meet Pat Sajak once, a few years back. I was working at a koi fish store and he and a small entourage came in with various questions about how to improve their little backyard pond. I helped him out as best I could, giving him a few options on how to improve his pond’s condition, but I don’t think he really took my advice to heart.

2. Hilary - January 31, 2007 at 10:08 am -

Was she at least wearing a glittery shiny dress and holding a vowel or something?

3. Silver Blue - January 31, 2007 at 10:25 am -

One could hope that she didn’t have a vowel movement while dining on said sushi.

4. monkeyinabox - January 31, 2007 at 10:38 am -

Pat, I’d like to buy a Hell Yeah.

5. Merel - January 31, 2007 at 2:35 pm -

‘No Make-Up? Break Up!’
    Teehee. You’re a funny man

6. wordmaven - January 31, 2007 at 3:20 pm -

How DO you overhear all those celebrity conversations? Do you have bionic hearing? Now that Bionic Woman, she got OLD.

7. dgm - January 31, 2007 at 4:57 pm -

have you ever tried to put lipstick on a fish? impossible. vanna has some nerve.

8. Jennifer Lankenau - January 31, 2007 at 6:44 pm -

wondering what Pat looks like without all his powdery goodness. Ew.

9. Short Ends: Chasing AM at - January 31, 2007 at 6:57 pm -

[…] · How does that funny little turntable-pawing dude pull so much high-end tail? This ABC News investigative report tries to get to the bottom of the DJ AM mystery, hoping to come up with a more satisfying answer than “has a great blow connection.” · Paula Abdul: Life Judge. · Teri Polo’s publicist deserves a raise for making us remember who she is. · Your guide to this year’s Superbowl ads. · Blogger Paul Davidson has seen Vanna White without make-up, and he’ll never be the same again. […]

10. dan day after you - February 1, 2007 at 3:45 am -

So-and this is a huge distinction- are you saying that you wouldn’t do her….assuming it wouldn’t cause you marital tension?

11. Jacquie - February 1, 2007 at 5:13 am -

Oh the irony! That story is too good to be made up. Ha. An accidental pun! Look at me.

What’s more ironic Pauly, is this… Last night my friend stopped over after eating at a Sushi place. She brought me to-go Sushi. It was not made up. I was just sitting there in a styrofoam to-go box with no fake grass or anything. Just a little plastic container of soy sauce. And I did not complain about the presentation because a) it was delicious and b) I had no make up on either so how could I be so hypocritical??

Anyway, I have always had a problem with people going out in public without making themselves presentable. I mean, how long does it take? Not long, my friend. Not long at all.

At least she was wearing a bra. Right?

12. jadepark - February 1, 2007 at 9:19 am -

I love your celebrity interactions, pauly–thank goodness you live in L.A., because your brilliant talent of observation brings us so many giggles when it comes to celebrities!

13. Eve - February 1, 2007 at 4:28 pm -

I totally know what you’re saying. Good stuff.

14. cdub - February 2, 2007 at 10:45 am -

Though I’m not a celebrity (yet), I have made a vow to never appear in public without makeup. In fact, I don’t even appear at home without makeup. If I didn’t put makeup on in the morning, I’m fairly certain my roommate wouldn’t know who I was and he would end up calling the police to arrest the female intruder (albeit an attractive-in-a-non-makeup-wearing-way female intruder) eating cereal in the kitchen.

Though, to be entirely hypocritical, I refuse to date guys who want me to wear makeup all the time.

15. Becky - March 11, 2007 at 7:36 am -

I’d like to know what self tanner Vanna uses?????????????????????