If The Sun Was Called “Poppy Seed”

If the sun was called Poppy Seed, things would be different — that’s for sure.

Your mother might warn you to take the “poppy seed-screen” with you before you went to the beach. If you didn’t, you’d probably get a “poppy seed burn” — which sounds horrific when you really think about it. Classic songs would suddenly have new song titles like “Here Comes the Poppy Seed” and “Poppy Seed-shiny Day.” People would be confused when others told them not to look directly into the poppy seed or risk going blind.

Scientists would freak out all human beings by predicting the day when THE poppy seed would explode and destroy Earth.

Humans would quickly decide they’d rather go out and frolic on a cloudy day, simply based on the fact that no one would want to go play outside on a poppy-seedy day. Fans of the band Midnight Oil would probably no longer be interested in listening to their awesome CD, “Earth and Poppy Seed and Moon.” And no one (and I mean no one) would want to “run to the poppy seed.”

Probably not a good idea if the sun was called “poppy seed.”

6 comments on “If The Sun Was Called “Poppy Seed”

1. Jennifer Lankenau - January 21, 2007 at 11:47 am -

I must say, I have been in severely chemically altered states and of all the random, peculiar theories I have concocted in such conditions…that, my friend, was never one of them. Top notch, good fellow.

2. Pauly D - January 21, 2007 at 12:15 pm -

JL – Chemically altered states? What’s funny is that I ate a pound of poppy seeds before I wrote this post… But can poppy seeds make you high?

3. Susan - January 21, 2007 at 3:06 pm -

My very own, very weird, maiden name means POPPY SEED! I re-read your entry inserting my name instead of “poppy” and indeed, it would be bizarre. And I prefer to think people don’t stare directly at me because it is impolite rather than I burn their retinas.

4. jacquie - January 21, 2007 at 7:45 pm -

Personally, I have always thought it would be cool if the sun was called “poppy seed”. But that’s just me.

5. monks - January 22, 2007 at 6:50 am -

mmmm, then I could rub poppy seed lotion all over myself before going out for a surf

poppy seed burst would send poppy seed shrapnel catapulting into space

ouch, i forgot to put on my sunglasses and got poppy seed in my eye

6. monks - January 22, 2007 at 7:11 pm -

corrected by vicious, I forgot to put on my poppyseed glasses 🙂