WFME On: Not Needing Heroes

Today marks a very special day here at WFME.

For while we normally use Monday’s to get back into the week, to wash our underwear and to finally finish off those antibiotics we’ve been meaning to finish up over the weekend — today we’ll be introducing a brand-new feature instead that we like to call WFME On:. Just what WFME will be chiming in on is anyone’s guess, and it’s bound to bring people together, worldwide, in a discussion of like-minded topics.

Today, WFME On: is all about not needing heroes.

First of all, let me just say that when talking about heroes, we can’t make the same mistake this time that we made the last time we discussed this topic. It was, to be completely honest, a completely wreck — and so out of the ruins we return, to take this subject head-on and give it the true consideration being a hero deserves. (And also, Heroes airs on Monday nights on NBC so that’s a great tie in that I believe should net me some advertising dollars from the NBC bigwigs).

But I digress, children.

Needing heroes or not needing heroes comes down to whether or not this last generation is living under fear and if they’re ever going to change. Fear, it seems, brings the need for heroes. And when you live with fear, refusing to change, nothing else remains but the need for a hero. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. If you’re afraid, if you give into the fear and if you refuse to change — you’re gonna need a hero to save you.

Well I’m here to say that we don’t need another hero.

I mean, can’t we all just fend for ourselves in this day and age? Can’t we stop being so needy? Needing heroes, needing people to save us, stopping at gas stations and needing to know the way home? It’s time to forget about the hand-holding and focus on our own lives, what’s beyond that, and committing to that independence by shouting out a phrase I believe can communicate our lack of neccesity for a hero: Thunderdome!

Finally, a rallying cry that’ll get someone’s attention.

Sure, you’re probably saying there’s a better rallying cry out there that communicates love, compassion…and that probably rhymes. But we can’t just go around committing halfway to this not needing a hero thing without fully screaming at the top of our lungs that yes…Thunderdome! — we don’t need those damn heroes. The day is coming, my friends — when living under the fear (as the children say) will be no longer.

That’s why today, WFME is saying that we don’t need another hero.

We don’t need someone to save us from the fear. We don’t need someone to do the job for us. We don’t need someone to give us a shoulder to cry on, or tell us how to boil a hardboiled egg or how to find the way home. We don’t need any of that stuff because we don’t need a damn hero when we can be our own hero…to ourselves.

Thunderdome!

Alright, so what do we do with our own lives so that we can stand out? What do we do so, in the face of no heroes (as I’m proposing), our own acts shine like a light… Well, I’ll tell you what you do. You give it your all. You focus. You forget about the heroes and leave your mark on both your life and those around you.

Because, people…we don’t need another hero.

We don’t need heroes. We don’t need them to quell the fear. We don’t need them, contrary to popular belief (and the hit NBC show Heroes, airing tonight at 9pm on your local NBC affiliate), to fix our flat tire… To mend our emotions… To give us strength or to, even in a strange city with streets that don’t run parallel…show us the way home.

All we need is ourselves.

Thunderdome!

12 comments on “WFME On: Not Needing Heroes

1. susan - November 27, 2006 at 6:39 am -

My belief system: I AM afraid, I HATE change, but I hate people “helping” me more. So I am down with your no heroes thang. Also, whenever I hear that “I need a hero” song- the image of my sister, who CAN’T sing, performing it at Karaoke comes into my mind – horrifying me and turning me off to heroes FOREVER.

2. susan - November 27, 2006 at 6:41 am -

That being said: Pauly, YOU are my kind of hero. You write your blog everyday without change. You don’t try to HELP me. And comfortingly, you are AFRAID of big bunches of stuff.

3. Pauly D - November 27, 2006 at 7:31 am -

Susan – I’d never try to help anyone. And yeah, I have tons of fears. No heroism here.

4. James Cooper - November 27, 2006 at 12:58 pm -

I thought about typing out some of the lyrics to “Wind Beneath My Wings” in an attempt at a series of really bad puns but decided I’d rather not chance you being served notice for having copyrighted lyrics on your blog. So, in lieu of that comment I shall simply leave this placeholder.

5. rach - November 27, 2006 at 2:54 pm -

You go Tina! Going to be a little contraversial here, and no doubt others have been before me. Ficticious heroes no, but real life ones yes. Everyone has someone who has guided them, helped a little, or just been there. I think having people like that inspires us to be better, or just to help out someone else, when the time comes. As for the ficticious (god that spelling still doesn’t look right) heroes, well I’ll take Batman, in that suit, but only for one thing! LOL. Great post

6. Daniel - November 27, 2006 at 3:24 pm -

beyond all blunderdrone!

As reductio ad absurdums go, it may hold some truth, that in most of our mundane trails, we do not really need another Hero…

but I’m certain that some of us might greatly benefit with a far better one

7. jadepark - November 27, 2006 at 8:26 pm -

Are you saying we are our own heroes? Bleahhhhh! Where is Kelly Clarkson’s songwriter?

If we are our own heroes, do we need to wear tights?

8. Jacquie - November 28, 2006 at 11:14 am -

I enjoyed listening to Tina as I read this post. Nice touch.

It took me back to Sunday TV of my childhood when my dad would take ownership of the only television in our humble home by watching such things that I was not at all interested in such as star trek, kung fu movies and of course, quite frequently, reruns of horrible movies such as Mad Max. I can also clearly envision the video that went with this song which reminds me of the days when MTV still actually played music videos.

Now to the point, I don’t like the idea of the rally cry “THUNDERDOME” mostly because it reminds me of Mel Gibson and these days, that’s not such a pleasant person to recall when you’re already somewhat frightened. You know what I’m sayin?

9. Kathleen - November 28, 2006 at 7:46 pm -

quit hanging out with Tony Robbins

10. Groonk - December 15, 2006 at 10:38 am -

all that being said and mostly agreed with by me.

even heroes have heroes. so do heroes not need heroes? can they really go on heroing without a kind hand from others once in a decade or sweeps week or whichever comes first?

just wonderin’.

11. […] People I know who swear by the whole “dream suggestion” racket have given me exercises to practice. You know, the kinds of things where you lay back on your bed and you tense up your feet, then your calves, then your knees, then work all the way up to your stomach and chest and finally your head. By the time you’ve tensed up your entire body, you’re so relaxed that any suggestion you make to your now-pliable mind will usually stick. In the past, I’ve been able to use this technique to dream about (a) saving a bus of tourists seconds before they plunge to their death above the Grand Canyon, (b) how I was really related to famous country singer (and botox-user) Kenny Rogers, (c) playing hide n’ go seek with Lionel Richie, (d) beating up Albert Einstein in one of those “two men enter, one man leave” Thunderdome-like cage matches, and (e) how I could eat three packets of crackers in less than a minute without drinking any water whatsoever. […]

12. nbc hero - July 26, 2007 at 12:19 pm -

I don’t know I think that the series is going to be a really good one, it has already proven very popular in north america now it is set to be aired worldwide.

But I can see some of your points on fear and the way NBC has picked this time out of all to bring in the new heroes!.

Nice site by the way.