Words After ‘The Breakfast Club’

I’m one of those guys who likes to imagine the after.

For those not familiar with the after — it’s those moments from pop culture gems (like John Hughes’ The Breakfast Club) that we never actually got to see but like to imagine how they went. You know, the day after Ferris Bueller took his day off. The arguments that Maverick and his hot flight instructor Charlie (Kelly McGillis) had when Maverick left the toilet seat up…

And the night after The Breakfast Club, when Principal Richard Vernon (Paul Gleason) went home to talk about just what went on that day with his wife.

Wife: “How was detention?”
Richard: “Eh, kids.”
Wife: “What, what happened?”
Richard: “The usual monkey business. Sneaking out of the library, sleeping, talking back…”
Wife: “Talking back? What did they say?”
Richard: “Nothing important. How was your day?”
Wife: “Fine, good.”

[Long pause]

Richard: “Can I ask you a question?”
Wife: “Okay…”
Richard: “Do you think I dress professionally?”
Wife: “Well, you wear a suit jacket to a weekend detention, I’d say that’s probably above and beyond the call of duty.”
Richard: “But.”
Wife: “What.”
Richard: “Do you think it looks like Barry Manilow raids my wardrobe?”
Wife: “Um, no. Did someone tell you they thought Barry Manilow raids your wardrobe?”
Richard: “Because I think I dress hip but professional. Not all showy like Barry Manilow.”
Wife: “You and Barry Manilow have really different styles, Richard. I wouldn’t give it another thought.”
Richard: “Really?”
Wife: “Yes, Richard. Really.”

11 comments on “Words After ‘The Breakfast Club’

1. James Cooper - September 19, 2006 at 8:42 am -

Maybe they’ll release new versions of these movies called the after editions. We could start a petition to get it done.

2. Amy - September 19, 2006 at 9:12 am -

Ahhh…my favorite movie of all-time, Pauly. Maybe you should produce the sequel to it.

3. Alison - September 19, 2006 at 9:13 am -

Oh, jeez. You make me laugh.

4. jerry - September 19, 2006 at 9:14 am -

Well we all know what happened after Dirty Dancing. Johnny didn’t join the pipefitters union afterall. He ended up giving lessons in Havana and Baby got so much work on her face done that her own family didn’t even recognize her anymore. She still carries watermelons, though. I thnk.

5. kapgar - September 19, 2006 at 10:11 am -

I think that’s a deleted scene in the director’s cut of the film.

6. jacquie - September 19, 2006 at 11:41 am -

i actually don’t have a comment so I’ll just express my feelings here.

hahahahhaaaaa. ahhh. good one Pauly!

7. The Centaur - September 19, 2006 at 1:46 pm -

I don’t know…

After tearing down high school kids on a Saturday with his special brand of hardassery, I always thought that principal Vernon would go home and rehearse for the next time Bender would step out of line. Oh, that would make his day.

8. better safe than sorry - September 19, 2006 at 3:29 pm -

isn’t that what sequels are made of?

9. sandra - September 19, 2006 at 4:06 pm -

I think about that a lot when a couple gets married at the end of a movie, particularly when they’ve spent most of it hating each other. Do they go on their honeymoon and fight, and nix the marriage a few weeks later? Do they have 20 kids and move to a commune?

10. Sarcomical - September 20, 2006 at 6:45 am -

oh my, that was just about perfect.

i will never feel the same after watching that movie again.

11. Kathleen - September 20, 2006 at 9:39 am -