Star Jones Will Be Joining WFME

You may or may not have read today’s New York Times article about Star Jones leaving ABC’s The View.

For those who don’t know, ABC’s The View is a daily morning talk show that was founded by Barbara Walters and has waltzed its way into America’s heart over the last few years. Star Jones, one of the few standouts of the program, has brought levity and humor to the show for years and has been given nothing back in return (except for lots of money and fame). And this week, that tradition of “getting nothing back” continued when ABC announced they were not going to renew her contract this Fall.

But there’s always a silver lining to life’s biggest disappointments.

Effective August 1st, 2006 — Star Jones will be joining Words For My Enjoyment as a contributor, consultant, fashion and style correspondent and food reviewer. And while up until yesterday Star Jones declined to comment about her next step in the world of Entertainment, we talked about it last night and decided that today was as good a day as any to break the news to the worldwide readers of WFME.

Know that I’ve tried for a very long time to keep WFME as a solo enterprise. I’ve never included online ads, asked anyone to pay for the content, forced people to buy silly products with the WFME logo or even taken that horrible step of going corporate. I was wholeheartedly against turning WFME into a commercial success but a creative nightmare. That’s why WFME has remained an island unto itself.

Until today.

With Star Jones being added to the list of writers here at WFME you can expect the same quirky content but written from a female perspective. You can expect the same star sightings and conversations, but written (half of the time) with a female twist. You can expect the same hard-core food journalism, but now that Star is a part of WFME we’ll probably be getting a lot of free food and buffet opportunities we never had before.

I asked Star Jones to give a brief quote about why she chose WFME over a slew of other opportunities she had knocking at her door and this is what she said:

Leaving my family on The View was a tough decision to make. I thought long and hard about what my next opportunity in the world of entertainment should be and there were many paths I could have traversed. But when all was said and done I decided that my next decision should not be made for money. Or success. Or fame. Or location. Or health benefits. And so, as of August 1st I will be joining Words For My Enjoyment. I have the utmost of respect for Paul Davidson, what he does, and I believe our new partnership will take the world by storm.

August 1st won’t be here soon enough!

Update 6/30/06: I called Star this morning after receiving all the unhappy/angry comments people left on this post in an attempt to get her to write something on the blog to explain her decision to join WFME. You can listen to our conversation (which she’s agreed to let me post), here.

59 comments on “Star Jones Will Be Joining WFME

1. Michelle - July 3, 2006 at 10:00 am -

Never heard of WFME but I will be adding this to my list of sites and will also spread the news to my family and friends who are huge fans of Star Jones.

2. Cheryl Bennett - July 4, 2006 at 10:43 am -

I can’t believe all the hate in the world. STAR IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM, LOVING YOURSELF IS> I can Love Others because I Love Myself.

PEACE!!

3. Shawn - July 5, 2006 at 9:35 am -

This not so shiny STAR makes me wanna puke. I for one could not be happier that this drag queen is gone from the View (not that it was a top 10 favorite of mine anyways…) Getting rid of her is like cleaning the show of its cockroach infestation. It may actually grab my attention now. NOW, if we could just make her fall off of the face of the Earth, mankind would indeed be in a better way…

4. stephy - July 9, 2006 at 2:58 pm -

I happen to like and respect Star Jones Reynolds. She is a human being with feelings and deserves a break. As a fan of hers, I welcome her here. I don’t agree with everything that she says and does but I still respect her as a person. For those that have so many problems with Star, is it because she wants to have some sort of privacy in her life and didn’t want everybody in all of her business. Get a life.

5. mark - July 14, 2006 at 6:17 am -

1. A live TV show is a promise to the network you’re going to do what you said you would do. Holding hostage the network, the producers – B. Getty and B. Walters – the director(s) – the co-hosts, and millions of viewers so Ms. Jones can say what she decided to say is not professional TV behaviour. It’s a trust issue.
    2. Grabbing the attention of a national network in this way is not a cry for privacy. Neither is the four interviews given the next day.
    3. Going from assistant D.A. to TV personality does not make you a star. And making headlines for your behaviour rather than your accomplishments is a few steps before a true start in life, no matter what you think of the medias.
    4. This job hunting will be publicised until a job will be found. The addition of Ms. Jones to this blog is another attempt to have her name out in the public scene. And her new employer is just a smart businessman taking advantage of the short-term attention it will provide his site. Smart of him.
    5. If Ms. Jones was that determined to do good in this world, she would be content to do it in silence. And let others sing her praise. We’re not there yet, obviously.
    Finally, I’m tired of hearing about and from her.
    When she really accomplishes something worth discussing, something other than “related to her”, I will gladly join the discussion. Until then, I’ll stick to the real news. Good luck to all.

6. Yas - July 17, 2006 at 4:55 am -

One question. Honest answer. Why do people here despise Star?

You know Mark, I find it interesting. You say she’s unaccomplished. I beg to differ.
    It takes alot of work to make it to the top of a major network –becoming a host of a major syndicated network program is a big deal. You can sure bet, that someone thought she was a big deal before she got that position at the view. And guess what? She kept that position for 9 YEARS. How many TV personalities can claim THAT sort of accomplishment? Not many, I assure you.

She’s prissy, maybe even siditty even. Yeah well, so what? So is Paris Hilton, but because she a tiny little blond heiress, and not a full figured black woman she’s somehow less “despised”. Seems fair.

And how could she possibly hold the network hostage. Let me tell you why Barbara felt betrayed, why ABC is angry, and why I don’t blame Star for doing what she did.

ABC is angry because Star used the loathed “F” word, a move they felt would undermine their integrity and alienate a core portion of their viewers. That’s why they feel betrayed. From the beginning, they planned to minimize the fallout from her termination by orchestrating a “fake” sendoff show for Star in an effort to keep her portion of their viewers happy. Only in television can one get a party for being fired by one’s employer. They network didn’t want any negative PR. Negative PR can have devestating effects on your bottom line. Afterall, viewers are EVERYTHING in the television business. Networks don’t care who hates or likes a program or a personality. Just as long as you, the viewer, are watching.

And that’s why they hired Rosie O’Donell. No matter how you feel about her, you will certainly WATCH, because you’re curious.

ABC got rid of Star because she would likely clash with Rosie. They felt that Rosie would bring in more “NUMBERS (aka viewers)” and so they made a stategic decision to ax her. It wasn’t about like or dilike. Plently of people DISLIKE Rosie O’Donnell, but a lesbian host ala Ellen Degeneres is good for PR and good for ratings. That’s all. Star lost her “weight” and as a result, lost the overweight viewers that supposedly represent the average american woman–a core part of their audience. The show’s numbers were dwindling. The network looked to a scapegoat–Star. She was the one so obviously “changing” — at least in a physical sense and that was not in keeping with the conceived format of the show. They didn’t wan’t another OPRAH. They wanted a “REAL” woman, not a thin celbutante. They hired her to be the single, childless professional who was struggling with her weight like millions of their viewers. She wasn’t supposed to win the fight. She was there to be the FAT broad, and she wasn’t single or the fat anymore, and she had the gall to advertise it–so guess what? She became the convenient cause of the problem. Star wasn’t fired because of her attitude or lack of professionalism. She was fired because marriage and her weight change was bad for business and the media made a bad deal worse by eating it up. And on top of it all–Star dared to self-promote these “unfavorable” new qualities by signing book deals, and using her View status to solicit donations for her wedding fairytale wedding to a good looking rich sports star, doing interviews about her weightloss, getting boob jobs and the like. That’s not the “REAL” woman. The real woman is overworked sexless, single and struggling with her weight. She doesn’t marry million dollar princes, get boob jobs and live a life of luxury. But why wouldn’t Star promote herself?
    Katie Couric, Oprah Winfrey, Al Roker, Regis Philbin, Kelly Ripa are in the news everyday all day for promoting self-interests seperate from the show. That’s how you stay “Fresh” in this business. People who don’t stay “fresh” by generating new PR for themselves find it difficult to sustain themselves in the entertainment industry.
    And Bridezillas are found everwhere in this country in all different shades and colors, and everyone is looking for a way to save money on everything. Why should Star be the exception?

So it wasn’t her attitude. Her attitude has been consistent since the incept of the show. She was a well dressed, opinionated, DIVA when she began the View. That’s not why she was fired. She was fired because her weight loss wasn’t good for ABC’s BUSINESS and where Rosie’s concerned, Oil and water don’t mix. That’s why Star went bye, bye. Pure and simple.

ABC is angry because they didn’t get the chance to give her the trumped up sendoff they had surely plotted in advance as an effort to keep the audience they had gained as a result of star’s being on the show. I’m sure the executives’ plan went something like this. We scrap the broad and come out shining by throwing this sham of a sendoff all the while saying: “Hey look, SHE’s the one LEAVING US, and it’s such a loss. See, aren’t we the nicest bunch of folk–we’re throwing a party for her. We just love Star.” And there you have it, it would have been and out and out lie–designed to manipulate intelligent people like you and me.

Anyway, my two cents.

7. Shirley - September 8, 2006 at 12:02 pm -

Well if Jones has anything to do with this site, I will never visit this place again. Good luck with the ugliest pig the view ever had.

8. rose - September 24, 2006 at 8:17 pm -

Oh good. Then ask her why she abandoned her blog and hasn’t updated it since August 9th…I mean all that sot about loyal fans and all. Just a publicity ploy she grew weary of?

9. rose - September 24, 2006 at 8:18 pm -

Oh, lol. I should have figured she’d bail on you like she did on her blog, too.