Words From The Road

Get ready for a rarity.

Because instead of writing today about a variety of subjects like the fact that I love change (money, not life altering moments), my prognosis on prognosises, about my super alter ago or how I plan on helping Whitney Houston get out of the hole she’s currently in, I would instead like to talk about my current experiences here in New York City promoting the book to change all books in the entire book landscape, The Lost Blogs.

I know. Yeah. Totally.

Yesterday was my first day in New York City after a red-eye into the big apple, and I began the day by doing a slew of radio interviews that aired live yesterday and were taped for airing this morning. (You can see a list of all the stations here). A lot of times when you do morning radio interviews, you simply give the station hotline a call a few minutes before the pre-arranged interview time but instead I swung out to a place called Launch Radio to do nine interviews over the course of a two hour period.

Way better than sitting in your sweatpants, on your bed, grasping your not-so-great cordless phone — Launch Radio set me up in an air-tight, hermetically-sealed studio with earphones and a high-quality and foam encased microphone (I like to give the visuals, FYI) and then the studio producers simply connected me up, one by one with the different radio stations. It’s always interesting to me to see what the different DJs gravitate to, and what they say is always very telling of the part of the country they’re in and the type of station they are as well. Like this confounding yet amusing exchange:

DJ: “So, any of your homies in the book?”
Me: “Homies?”
DJ: “Yeah, which of your homies are in the book!?”
Me: “Uh, homies?”
DJ: “Black dudes. What black people are in the book?”

Even more amusing, of course, was a particular DJ who decided to spend a good portion of time telling me about her quest to get the makers of Vienna Fingers cookies to add double the filling inbetween the cookie slats (while referencing my first book Consumer Joe).

Above all, though, doing that many interviews in one block really got my head into the right space — before long you find those “sound bytes” about the book and get pretty comfortable rattling off quick anecdotes about the book while getting “the funny” out as quickly as possible. In radio, you want that five minutes of time to be packed with as much as possible and be able to be quick on your feet.

Yesterday, after finishing the block of radio interviews, I swung by ESPN’s Cold Pizza for a live, on-camera interview. If you aren’t familiar with the show, it’s ESPN’s morning show (think The Today Show) and does focus on sports but also interviews celebrities, musicians and authors as well. That, of course, was a great experience too — despite having to pack as much conversation in as quickly as possible, the appearance helped get the word out about the book to a national audience which is always a really great thing.

Today, after a morning interview on KKND-FM’s The Morning Train Wreck I’ll be heading to a studio to do an interview for MSNBC (to air later today or this week, time TBD) and then finish up the day with a few more radio interviews, including one on the national ESPN radio program All Night. Then it’s back on a plane tomorrow and back to the bland L.A. skyline — which really does pale in comparison to what New York has to offer.

But I still love you L.A., so you know…don’t pout.

19 comments on “Words From The Road

1. Susan - May 16, 2006 at 7:30 am -

Busy, busy boy ain’t you? My hot burning questions are: What’s so bad about sitting on your bed in your sweatpants? That’s where I’m at my most clever. Which eye got red from the “red eye”? What IS the status of “double stuffed” Vienna cookies? After experiencing the cold, wet misery of the Northeast, why would anyone return to sunny, pretty L.A.?

2. ms. sizzle - May 16, 2006 at 8:44 am -

but LA does pouting so well. 😉

enjoy your adventure!

3. Hilary - May 16, 2006 at 8:46 am -

Have a great time, and a safe trip back!

4. Curt Sawyer - May 16, 2006 at 9:05 am -

Welcome to the right coast! 😉

Again, the weather has been crappy in the city all morning. Hope you get some sightseeing in, and that you get to some good resturants. Don’t know where you are staying, but I recommend The Modern, attached to MOMA. I talked about it on my blog a couple of days ago (ate there Saturday).

It really is a great city, other than the weather.

5. Pauly D - May 16, 2006 at 9:27 am -

Susan – There’s something about having make-up on and bright lights in your face that makes you funnier. Maybe it’s just the make-up.

Curt – Yeah, it’s just starting to clear up. It was pouring torrentially this morning, but it’s looking better now. Love NYC. Great place.

6. Esther Kustanowitz - May 16, 2006 at 9:41 am -

Gee, if only you knew people in New York, you could hang out with them. Oh well.

7. Kevin - May 16, 2006 at 9:45 am -

Wow. When they describe promotional tours as being “whirlwind,” they really mean it, don’t they?

Was it like this for Consumer Joe?

8. Pauly D - May 16, 2006 at 9:48 am -

Esther – If only I did.

Kevin – Consumer Joe was a little more low-key. I also did all my tv appearances via satellite. This has been a fun new element to the process this time around.

9. sandra - May 16, 2006 at 11:30 am -

Kick ass, Pauly D!

10. Karl in the Dark - May 16, 2006 at 11:59 am -

Pauly, how does that Launch Radio thing work? Does your publisher pay for this studio use? That seems like a really good way to go, sitting in a studio setting and having someone else do all the phone calls and connecting for you.

11. Bre - May 16, 2006 at 2:05 pm -

I, for one, am quite glad you didn’t write about change because I absolutely hate it… in fact I usually throw it away unless it’s quarters (which are useful when it comes to laundry).

In other news – yay for you! You will be quite the busy guy 🙂

12. mikey - May 16, 2006 at 2:06 pm -

After reading it, I know it’s going to be #1 on the New York Times best sellers list. 🙂

13. Pauly D - May 16, 2006 at 2:29 pm -

Karl – Actually, it’s something the publicists arrange. They pitch me and the book to someone like Launch, then Launch gauges how many of their stations want to do the interview, then they set it up, and it doesn’t cost us or the publisher a thing. I suspect it’s because it’s giving the stations free content and they usually get giveaways in the process.

Bre – I would request that you send all your dimes and nickels to me.

Mikey – From your lips…

14. Alison - May 16, 2006 at 6:49 pm -

It sounds very tiring. And wonderful!

Received my copy of the book yesterday, and have enjoyed the bits I’ve read. You made me laugh, and that’s always a good thing.

15. jackt - May 17, 2006 at 12:12 am -

Ahhh the wondrous LA skyline…splotchy and shrouded by smog.

16. the swede - May 17, 2006 at 3:41 am -

Paul, you are now a Superstar!

:O)

17. Rabbit - May 17, 2006 at 5:38 am -

Interviews? Television? Leaving the house?!

I don’t think I want to be a writer anymore.

18. Janet - May 17, 2006 at 7:02 am -

This isn’t one of those, “I’m becoming ridiculously famous and I won’t be needing you all soon” posts is it?

Because I am tired of it buddy. But, hey, have a good time. Stop by the Rockerfeller Center and all that jazz.

19. Pauly D - May 17, 2006 at 7:22 am -

Janet – I will always need you all. Without you, I am merely a shadow of a whole person.