Hey, I’ve got a secret.

You probably have no idea what this secret is going to be, but it’s a secret that’s sort of making me giddy and so I wanted to share it with everyone. Okay, look – I’ll give you a hint. It’s about my new book. And Amazon. And about the postal service. No, not the band. The United States Postal Service.

Maybe you should read more if you really want to know the secret.

So, if you were one of the lucky ones who pre-ordered The Lost Blogs, you may have already received the book in your mailbox as soon as yesterday. (A WFME reader already sent me a picture of them, reading the book, with their dog.) Pretty crazy, since the book isn’t supposed to hit shelves until May 8th.

But who am I to blow the whistle? Instead, I’d rather just toot the horn.

I spent yesterday at the Post Office where I had packaged up an entire lot of the books to go out to contest winners, Grass Roots bloggers and the people who provided quotes for the book. And while standing in line at the Post Office, a very strange conversation took place with the Asian woman working behind the counter. During the whole time she was adding postage to the packages she said nothing — but then as she handed me the receipt to sign, she began to speak:

Woman: “I’m an angel, you know.”
Me: “Uh, great.”
Woman: “These are your books, inside these packages, aren’t they?”
Me: “Yeah…”
Woman: “Good things may be coming…”
Me: “Well, in that case, I really do hope you’re an angel.”

I had never mentioned to her anything about my book, what was inside, nor was I wearing a t-shirt that said “These packages you’re packing all include a book I’ve just written and I really hope good things are coming so if you feel that they are please pretend to be an angel and tell me so.”

It would have to have a really small Courier font in order to fit.

Needless to say, either the people working at the Post Office are escaped mental patients with visions of grandeur, or my post office friend was a…real angel.

Yes, I’m moving on.

In addition to this site, the Official Lost Blogs Site, and my MySpace site (which now includes a selection of podcasts for your “enjoyment”) — I just got involved in an interesting thing on Amazon called Amazon Connect.

It was something I originally heard about from TV writer/author/blogger Lee Goldberg who churns out a mystery novel like every week — he had started his own author blog on Amazon as a way to keep connected with the people who buy his books. It’s a pretty interesting program — authors who have books are able to write blog entries…and those entries can be seen by people who have bought their books previously. I jumped on that bandwagon this week as well, and have a few posts up already about some interesting Lost Blogs trivia — like a list of some of the historical folks who didn’t end up making it into the book…and why.

You can check out my Amazon blog and the recent posts here.

So with one week and counting, things are looking good. If you’ve already gotten the book, I’d love to know your thoughts, and if you haven’t already — don’t you think it’s time you did your country a favor and bought one?

I think so too.

16 comments on “Today’s Post Will Be About Amazon, How They’re Shipping My Book Now, How Giddy That Makes Me Feel And A Short Story About The Post Office Angel

1. Jacquie - April 29, 2006 at 1:24 pm -

I’m no angel but I would say good things are already happening and will continue to happen for you Mr Davidson. That was a strange conversation. And thank you for giving your fans one more place to get their Paul fix!

Looking forward to your book!!!!

2. H.F. Peterman - April 29, 2006 at 1:31 pm -

Mine was just delivered hours ago.

So far my favorite entry was from alexander the great…oh and also the Jesus Christ blog (your email always bless my inbox)…oh and one more…Neil armstrong and rock, paper, scissor.

Congrats.

3. Dave2 - April 29, 2006 at 4:19 pm -

That’ll teach me to check my mailbox more often.

It’s strange, but I think I have four copies on the way. One I ordered that was canceled by the store then reinstated. One I ordered from a different store when I thought my first order was canceled. Another that I ordered locally (thinking I would get it faster). And yet another I won Grassroots Lost Blogging.

I think I’m going to either wallpaper my apartment with the pages or build a fort.

4. Pauly D - April 29, 2006 at 4:35 pm -

Dave – I’d like to see a picture of that. The fort, I mean.

5. Rabbit - April 29, 2006 at 5:32 pm -

Someone has their book already? I’m so jealous!

Since you mailed my copy only just yesterday, I know it won’t be arriving in rural New England for quite awhile. Especially because I believe they deliver our mail by cow.

6. Pauly D - April 29, 2006 at 5:41 pm -

Rabbit – I sent it by priority cow, FYI.

7. the swede - April 29, 2006 at 7:47 pm -

Paul, I am so excited about soon having my hands on a copy of your book that I wrote this little poem:

I’m so excited.
    I just can’t hide it.
    I’m about to lose control and I think I like it.

8. Karl - April 29, 2006 at 8:00 pm -

Weird about the post office deal. I thought you were going to say something like “I turned around for just a second and when I turned back she was gone.” [cue “Twilight Zone” theme]

Looking forward to getting my copy in the mail soon.

9. mamakraft - April 29, 2006 at 9:18 pm -

Congrats to you .. I am still waiting .. but that’s not a shock!
    Angels are looking out for you!
    mamak

10. mikey - April 30, 2006 at 8:06 am -

Yeah!!! Mine is on it’s way. I also pimped your book to my friends @ My Space.

11. Belinda - April 30, 2006 at 1:38 pm -

I didn’t get mine yet, but I always get my copy of “Poodle Variety” (no, I am not making that up) well behind the rest of the country, too, so I’m not worried.

12. Lena - April 30, 2006 at 8:18 pm -

All I can say again is:

You are the coolest.

13. Nicole - May 1, 2006 at 8:52 am -

I was moping around my house Saturday morning because I had to wait another week and two days to read this new classic, but imagine my delight when it arrived, hot off the presses, in my mailbox that afternoon! Loving it so far!

14. Kevin - May 1, 2006 at 9:07 am -

Cannot wait for this book to arrive!

15. Kristi - May 1, 2006 at 10:13 am -

Hey, you aren’t having any kind of free-book contest for people that have been with you from the beginning but are on a budget and can barely afford to keep their pathetic blog going but they bought your first book by seeking it out when it was at an obscure Jamba Juice, are you?

Dang, didn’t think so. I guess I’ll just have to save my milk money for when it comes out (since that will save me S&H money, but I’ll still get raped with the 9% tax here in Chicago). Dang.

16. Nanette - May 3, 2006 at 5:04 pm -

I don’t know if that postal worker’s comments would warm me….or scare the crap out of me! Either way, sounds like she’s right. 🙂