Two Weeks And Counting

Just over a year ago, I sold my second book to Warner Books.

And now, just two weeks out from the official release of The Lost Blogs I find myself much more educated about the process of releasing a book than I was in the beginning, when I started this blog with the intent of tracking the process of a book from release and following it all the way through.

At least this time, with my OCD for having to post each day fully in effect, I don’t think that will be a problem.

There’s a lot that goes into getting a book published but there’s even more that goes into getting a book recognized. There’s hundreds of people behind the scenes of a publishing company working to advertise, market, publicize and sell a book — yet if an author were to sit back and hope for the publisher to do everything, their book would surely fail. For, just like in Hollywood — you can get yourself an agent, but unless you do the work and create the content, make a name for yourself, and align yourself with the right people…the agent can’t do a thing for you.

My book agent has an interesting little bit of advice for an author with an upcoming book. Six months before the release, an author should be spending at least a couple of hours a day trying to drum up interest and get the word out. Three months out, the author should be spending a good three-four hours a day plugging away. The month before a book comes out, an author’s life should pretty much be all about the book — drumming up interest from newspapers to small remote countries that you’ve never heard of in the South Pacific who eat nothing but coconut and seaweed.

And yes, that is pretty much going to be my plan.

That being said, with two weeks until the release of the book, I’m going to be ramping up things here at Words For My Enjoyment. In the coming weeks and during the initial weeks of the release, I’ll be coming up with unique ways to award copies of The Lost Blogs to readers… I’ll be keeping you abreast of the media and publicity surrounding the book… And I’ll be encouraging you to share the word with friends, family and co-workers who you think might enjoy the content of what some people in my family (my mom) are calling, “The most hilarious book to ever be released since the printing press was invented…and the most important book to be discovered since the Rosetta Stone.”

She’s a mom. What do you expect?

So if you know people who might be interested in the book, give them the 411. If you haven’t joined the Lost Blogs Mailing List, be sure to get on board so you don’t miss out on Mailing List Only giveaways. If you haven’t told your best-friend’s sister’s cousin’s husband, who happens to be the editor at a national magazine or television news channel, about the book — do it. If you already participated in the amazing Grass Roots campaign — go take a nap and give yourself a pat on the back.

Sure, The DaVinci Code was big and sold millions. But The Lost Blogs is heavier. And has Lincoln on the cover. I mean, c’mon! LINCOLN, people. What book, other than those other books that have Lincoln on the cover, HAS LINCOLN ON THE COVER?

I think you get me, and I think you get me good.

16 comments on “Two Weeks And Counting

1. the swede - April 24, 2006 at 7:34 am -

Who’s this Lincoln you keep talking about? If it was my book, I would have put someone a bit more – oh, I dunno – famous on the cover. Like Colin Farrell. Come to think of it, Colin Farrell makes much more sense on the cover of any book, due to his being so ‘hot’. That Lincoln fella isn’t much to look at.

(Oh, and sorry Mr. Lincoln if you’re reading this. I didn’t mean that as an insult or anything.)

2. Pauly D - April 24, 2006 at 7:50 am -

Swede – Would you believe, we tried to get Gandhi on the cover but Gandhi’s estate wanted (get this) too much money to put the guy on the cover. I guess Lincoln’s peeps were a little more reasonable. As for Colin Farrell, he’ll be on the cover of my next book, entitled “My Night With Colin Farrell (As Told To Me Over Coffee)”.

3. Kevin - April 24, 2006 at 8:17 am -

Lincoln, eh? He is better looking than the Mona Lisa. But in a purely intellectual way, of course.

4. mikey - April 24, 2006 at 8:50 am -

Let us know Pauly if you are going on a book signing tour.

5. annabel lee - April 24, 2006 at 9:07 am -

Yay Pauly! But don’t you think Lincoln would’ve used a Mac?

6. Flower Girl - April 24, 2006 at 9:18 am -

Pauly, I may get fired from my job, but in an attempt to promote your book, I could make a bootleg t-shirt with the cover of your book on it and wear it every day for two weeks straight.
    – Everyone I work with will see it (approx 3,000 people.)
    – After 2 weeks, it will stink and the Health Dept will be called and they will come out to investigate, and word will get around the Health Department (approx 500 people.)
    – Someone will leak it to the local news and they’ll come to do a human interest story for the 5 o’clock news (viewed by about 100,000 people.)
    – It will appear on the local channel’s Web site, and you can link to it on your site (countless people.)

I’ve got your back, my brother…

7. Esther Kustanowitz - April 24, 2006 at 9:22 am -

If Mr. Lincoln IS reading this, I hope he’ll call me and give me the exclusive on what it’s like to be featured in a book by a blogebrity like Pauly D.

I have no Colin Farrell aspirations, but would urge the Swede to be careful and stay protected. The Dude’s been around…

But I digress…congrats, Pauly, on everything except the OCD with posting every day. Which I can’t relate to at all.

8. C(h)ristine - April 24, 2006 at 9:46 am -

I think your bookcover is wonderful–it’s so hard to get a good bookcover these days (that’s what I hear anyway).

9. Pauly D - April 24, 2006 at 11:21 am -

C(h) – It’s totally true. Getting a kick-ass book cover is a huge benefit to a book. I was very lucky this time around, and the designer of the book at Warner was awesome.

10. Bre - April 24, 2006 at 11:55 am -

I would encourage my students to read it, but that involves reading and they’re in college so they don’t actually dothat. I’ll be sure to spread the word amongst my (book friendly) family, friends, and coworkers though! 🙂

11. Jacquie - April 24, 2006 at 12:24 pm -

Have I been asleep all this time? I don’t think I’m on that mailing list. I better go do that now!

12. Rabbit - April 24, 2006 at 3:40 pm -

Pauly, I tried to rest like you suggested, but it’s hard to sleep when an announcer-like voice keeps saying, “This nap was brought to you by Paul Davidson, brilliant author of the infamously funny book The Lost Blogs (pre-order your copy today!).”

13. Dave2 - April 24, 2006 at 3:59 pm -

I think I’m going to write about nothing but “The Lost Blogs” on my blog up until launch as well. I hate being left out of important stuff like this.

14. Pauly D - April 24, 2006 at 4:04 pm -

Rabbit – You hear that voice too?

Dave2 – Listen, you have to do what you have to do. Far be it from me to stop you. Which I would never do. Ever. Especially if you’re talking about my book for two weeks. Or two months. Not saying that you should talk about my book for two months. That would just be plain crazy.

And appreciated.

15. Kristi - April 25, 2006 at 6:46 am -

I’d totally pimp out your book on my blog, if I ever get around to posting again any time soon. Not that it matters, though, because I don’t have any readers. Maybe I’ll help by making a sandwich board sign and taking the next couple weeks off of work to walk around downtown Chicago promoting your book. What’s the pay rate for something like that, or would you consider that volunteer work in good faith? LOL

16. Flower Girl - April 27, 2006 at 6:15 am -