Hardcover Words

There ain’t nothing like getting your hardcover book in the mail after it’s been published.

This week must have been an exciting week for Jessica Stover whose book Aidmheil: In The Name of Adventure started shipping to all those who pre-ordered the book via her fancy book order me now page where you too, can pick up a copy.

Well, today was exciting for me as I was able to rip open the package on my doorstep and get my own hot little hands on the book in question. Man, a hardcover book. Draped in a velvet green. With a golden haiku on the back of it that read:

To be so awesome
Is a crime against nature.
So arrest me, fool.

Really, is there any more that can be said about the Aidmheil? The book is both clever in its humor, snarky in its wit, beautiful in its poetic goodness and sweeping in its scale. And if you are looking for something unique to pick up while there’s still time (and before Stover gets too famous to personally inscribe one for you) — this is the thing to nab.

Congratulations to Stover — it’s the beginning of many milestones, I’m sure.

10 comments on “Hardcover Words

1. AJ - December 12, 2005 at 11:29 pm -

I’m reading about this book everywhere all of a sudden. I’ve never even heard of this thing. Aidm– what? I don’t even know what that means.

2. Pauly D - December 13, 2005 at 7:31 am -

It’s short for “Aid A Meal” — a philanthropic program where people take time bringing hot meals to the homeless and the downtrodden.

Although the book makes no mention of a such a program, which I just realized is really strange.

3. Pierce - December 13, 2005 at 7:40 am -

Aidmheil is an Irish word, meaning admission, or statement.

She may be getting it from the scottish Gaelic either. I don’t know where she’s from. The word means basically the same thing in either language I’d guess.

It’s pronounced “Ed – veil” with a slightly soft d. In Irish anyway.

Holy crap, I never though I’d get use from my native tongue on the internet.

4. JM - December 13, 2005 at 1:00 pm -

I’m thinking she’s leaning toward the Scottish denotation and connotation (which are similar), as well as the Scottish pronunciation (which is different).

What do I know about her though?

😉

5. AJ - December 13, 2005 at 2:21 pm -

Whatever it means, I’d love a look at the menu for those meals. I’m famished.

6. the swede - December 13, 2005 at 10:36 pm -

AJ, I wouldn’t recommend the side steak. It tastes like paper.

7. Alissa - December 14, 2005 at 12:46 pm -

I just ordered this book, it better be good or else… well, nothing. I’m sure it’s fantastic. I can’t wait to get it!

8. Pauly D - December 14, 2005 at 12:49 pm -

Uh oh.

9. Curt Sawyer - December 18, 2005 at 3:38 pm -

I discovered Jess through WWDN, and have been a huge fan ever since. I also have the distinction of being the first person to order her book, about 20 seconds after the order site went up.

The book rocks. If you don’t get it, you don’t get it. Enough said.

10. Digi - December 31, 2005 at 5:36 pm -

I have a hand signed out one with a message to me. That will be worth a lot one day, however I couold easily get more signed like that cause I am her cousin, I got one from her from X-mas. It was really good. I even got a space in dedications.