Kristy McNichol Is Following Me, Pt. 2

It’s become an epidemic.

You may recall the two previous times Kristy McNichol (70’s mega star of such gems as Little Darlings and The Pirate Movie as well as the 80’s show Empty nest) was caught following me. The first, at a patio furniture store… The second, at the movies.

Well, on this glorious Sunday, Kristy McNichol has struck again. At the supermarket.

What began as a “oh how funny there’s Kristy McNichol” moment and evolved into “oh how ironic I saw her earlier today and now here she is again in the same place as me” suspicion has now officially become a “third times the charm as well as the confirmation that I’m being stalked by a 70’s celebrity” epidemic. Kristy McNichol is probably in my bathroom right this minute, but I’m sort of afraid to check.

But with there being two previous situations and no proof, I set out today to give WFME readers worldwide the confirmation that these things are really happening to me and these aren’t the insane mutterings of a wannabe stalkee.

I decided that I needed to ask Kristy McNichol to take a picture with me.

I followed her throughout the supermarket — watched her as she carefully picked up the items that were important to her (i.e. bananas, cherry tomatoes, two bottles of Aquafina water, some baked beans, mexican taco seasoning, etc) and followed her into the aisle that houses the candy canned food. You know, Chef Boyardee crap. Beans, ravioli, pasta in a can. I had my trusty Sidekick cell phone/camera with me and I decided that now would be as good a time as any to break the bread with the woman I had a crush on throughout my formative years.

Me: “Kristy McNichol.”

She looked at me — sad to say she was a mere shadow of what she once was. Spiky-cut hair, a little too much make-up, and an annoyed look on her face like I had just said something like “excuse me, but I think a bird just crapped on your head.” She flashed this kind of eerie smile and then turned back around like she didn’t even want to deal with it.

Me: “This may sound random, and I apologize for bothering you…” I said, “But this is the third time you and I have been in the same place and it sort of feels like we’re stalking each other… You know?”

The phrase “stalking” sort of echoed in the air for a few minutes and I realized it probably wasn’t the best way to word it.

Me: “Maybe ‘stalking’ isn’t the right word. I guess you and I just have similar interests. Patio furniture, movies… Chef Boyardee…? I’d love to just be able to get a picture with you…”

Kristy McNichol: “I’d love to just be able to finish my shopping…”

Oooooh. SLAM. I tried to regain my composure as she moved a little bit away from me and kneeled down in her jogging suit to pick out something from the shelf. I quickly swung out my already-ready Sidekick phone and took this picture. The electronic picture-taking sound of the phone alerted her and she swung around to glare at me.

Me: “I loved you in Little Darlings. I just want you to know that.”

She threw the can of whatever she’d just grabbed into her basket and turned…heading away from me down the aisle. That was around the time that I snapped this picture. Blurry and out of focus, but Kristy McNichol nonetheless.

The moral of the story, it seems, has nothing to do with celebrities stalking me or NOT stalking me, nor does it have anything to do with ravioli or supermarkets. The moral it seems is this:

Take the picture from the front. With a good camera. And not a Sidekick.

I guess you live and you learn.

46 comments on “Kristy McNichol Is Following Me, Pt. 2

1. patricia - November 6, 2005 at 4:19 pm -

“Take the picture from the front. With a good camera. And not a Sidekick”

That and turn the sound effects off. You can get more stealth by doing that. Not that, uhm, I know from experience. So I’ve heard.

2. Kevin - November 6, 2005 at 5:01 pm -

Not quite the Mr. T experience, eh? Shame. I loved her in The Pirate Movie. Time for Christopher Atkins to whomp her butt with his bungee-corded, Force-enhanced saber.

3. Pauly D - November 6, 2005 at 5:06 pm -

I think if I had thrown a can of food at her, maybe I could have got some video of her attacking me.

Oh well. Stalkees can’t be choosey.

4. duff - November 6, 2005 at 6:23 pm -

you could roll a can of chefboyardee by her, then snap a picture as she turns around to see where it came from. i mean, unless cans of chef boyardee normally roll down the aisles at your supermarket, of course- then it wouldn’t be unusual enough to get her attention.

in which case, you should just throw a bag of malt-o-meal cereal. (after all, you want to get her attention, not injure her, right?)

5. Scully - November 6, 2005 at 6:28 pm -

You do know she is manic/depressive, don’t you? The stalking comment may have hit a nerve.

6. Pauly D - November 6, 2005 at 6:29 pm -

Malt-o-meal?

Now there’s a sense memory.

7. C(h)ristine - November 6, 2005 at 7:41 pm -

i don’t think you can turn the “camera just took a picture” sound effect from a phone. but when you get a cadre of stalkers following you around with cameraphones, you may be thankful for that warning. 🙂

8. Murph - November 6, 2005 at 7:55 pm -

I could see how you would think she was following you at the supermarket and the movies, but come on, the patio furniture store is just a hang out. You could bump into anyone there.

9. Kathleen - November 6, 2005 at 9:00 pm -

this seems a little mean to me…

10. AJ - November 6, 2005 at 10:25 pm -

You should have told her that YOU have been on TV more recently than SHE has been. And that maybe SHE would like to take a picture with YOU.

11. LisaBinDaCity - November 7, 2005 at 2:20 am -

That happened to me one time before I moved to NYC. I literally saw George Hamilton in 4 different places in one weekend. I wish I had told the man to stop stalking me already but oh well. He was really cute so I gave him a a break…

I actually worked with him years later and I kept my mouth shut 😉

12. Kristi - November 7, 2005 at 7:21 am -

Geez- you’d think she’d be excited that someone even RECOGNIZED her!

You so crack me up, P Diddy.

13. Kristen - November 7, 2005 at 7:59 am -

OK, so perhaps “stalking” wasn’t the best choice of words, but come on. Maybe she was embarrassed for drinking Aquafina, the Pepsi tap water? Maybe she thought you were a creditor, tracking her down for not paying off all her Jordache jeans?

She should have turned around, kissed you on the lips and thanked God that someone other than her mother acknowledged her. Such ingratitude.

14. Patricia - November 7, 2005 at 8:26 am -

Actually, on my cell phone you can turn the sound effects off when taking a picture. I would think you’d be able to do the same with a Sidekick on account of it being much fancier than my little phone. Regardless, she was probably just embarrassed about the fact that you’d caught her stalking you. She played it pretty good though by trying to turn it around and making it seem like she was the one who was bothered.

15. EverydaySuperGoddess - November 7, 2005 at 8:35 am -

Back in the day, I used to listen to the record album that she made with her brother, Jimmy, obsessively.

Her cover of “My Boyfriend’s Back” is a classic. A CLASSIC, I tell you.

16. Sarcomical - November 7, 2005 at 8:56 am -

Oh. Mygod.

that killed me. are you playing with us or was that conversation for real?

17. Pauly D - November 7, 2005 at 8:59 am -

For real, Sarcomical.

Had it been fake, I would have made Kristy McNichol beat me up or something.

18. Neil - November 7, 2005 at 9:31 am -

Have you tried to sell these photos yet to the Star?

19. monkeyinabox - November 7, 2005 at 9:49 am -

What I’m really waiting for is a picture of Mr T on the toilet. Why? Not because I want to see BA’s BA, but because of the age old question: Does Mr. T pitty the toilet seat cover or not?

I PITTY THE FOOL WHO DOESN’T USE THE TOILET SEAT COVER!

or

Why make a fuss, is only a toilet seat?

or

Maybe he shops at Hope Depot a lot.

20. Pauly D - November 7, 2005 at 10:00 am -

Neil – The Star doesn’t want my blurry Kristy McNichol photos. Or do they? DO THEY? Do they? Have them call me.

As for everyone who is walking me through this silent-photo taking feature on the Sidekick — I have figured it out! Voila! Now what?

21. Nanette - November 7, 2005 at 1:21 pm -

You should have told her, “I pity the fool who acts like an asshat!”

22. heather - November 7, 2005 at 2:59 pm -

you know, if you turn your phone on ‘silent’ mode, that clicky sound should go away.

at least it does on mine. thats the only way i was able to get such a close up picture of patrick fugit at street scene without his girlfriend kicking my ass.

23. em - November 7, 2005 at 5:33 pm -

didn’t she marry John McEnroe? at any rate, I liked her in Panic Room…

24. Darrel - November 8, 2005 at 6:50 am -

Speaking of Kristy McNichol, whatever happened to Circus of the Stars? I’ll never forget Bubba from Mama’s Family in lavender tights high on the trapeze platform… and people say being gay is a choice. Ha! Bubba, if you’re reading this and you’re still hot, e-mail me. I see the last film you were in was called “Double Teamed” so maybe we could have some fun… Wait a minute, this isn’t craigslist…

25. C(h)ristine - November 8, 2005 at 9:56 am -

Even if the Star doesn’t take them–you could always give Ted Casablanca of E!online the scoop. He used my Owen Wilson sighting.

26. Danny - November 11, 2005 at 6:51 am -

Looks like poor Kristy has no sense of humor about her life and career. But then again, the “stalking” comment probably started her adrenaline flowing, who knows what she’s had to deal with. I prefer the old-time stars who WANT people to come up to them and chat and because they are so appreciative they HAVE fans!

I’ve had a similar experience with James Woods. Wherever I go in L.A., no matter what neighborhood or venue, there he is. At this point I now take a few moments to find James Woods whenever I go somewhere new. But I haven’t had the guts to accost him, I hear he can be pretty fierce.

27. Erik - December 11, 2005 at 3:34 pm -

I found your story to be amusing but one-sided and kind of lame. I met Kristy when she dined a restaurant I managed in Encino about two years ago (or less). I was working on a interest related to pet adoption- told her about it (while she ate with her gf) and gave her my home phone number. She called me the next evening and we had a nice conversation. Sadly however, I let her know that I was a longtime fan and that was a big mistake. It became clear to me that “the public” expects famous actors to be forever carry the title of “celebrity” forever when many wish to shed the image as best they can. It would similar to being the kid who was picked on in grade school and then despite being an adult, whenever you ran into those school bullies at the store they would attempt to pick on you with the same names. You’d get pretty annoyed and wish it would stop because that was a former you and a former time that was painful but nonetheless part of your life.

I hope that is a medaphor that makes sense. In my conversation with her it was evident that acting was a job that perhaps she enjoyed from time to time, like any regular job, and she simply got tired of it and would prefer to just “be a regular person”. I too found that strange as so many people say they would love to be famous but like many situations, we won’t know the good and bad of it until it happens.

I realize that your efforts towards her were to be dramatic and hopefully funny as it might make for a “juicy” story, but I hope that you didn’t actually approach her in that way but simply embellished for the blog. I think simply thanking her for her work would have been respecting her for what she did and who she is now- a person like you and me.

Good luck in your pursuit of other celebrity close encounters. I have plenty of stories about dozens of my own personal experiences- some great and some very strange.

28. gungasdindin - February 24, 2006 at 9:40 am -

So far you’ve only proven to me that there is a Bigfoot.

29. The Moviequill - March 12, 2006 at 8:53 am -

when did you realize she wasn’t stalking and it had morphed into just another strange coincidence? that moment had to hurt… BTW, if it was Justine Bateman I would have been arrested by Kroger security

30. JT - April 25, 2006 at 1:49 pm -

Hey, what part of town were you constantly running into her? I heard she lives in Encino……

31. Ronda Kay - June 5, 2006 at 9:37 pm -

wow, you are a amazing and brave, youngman! she could of really threw something at you. and it is fate, LOL, i believe that,you and her keep running into each other. what happen to the sweet, kind and thoughtful kristy, we knew? so sad. 🙁
    so keep up, the good work. and i will keep checking back, to see if you have seen, or gotting any good pic’s of kristy!!! and tell her she should be thankful for people, like us. we are the ones who, put her in that type of lifestyle, ect. take care and god bless, and rock on. paul, you have a awesome website. love, laughs and peace. ronda kay cornwell age 42
    414 east oak street
    monticello, iowa 52310
    please, send me any pic’s you, have on kristy, and in return i can replace the p&h, whatever, you want. and could i also receive a autographed pic, of you? thanks…:)…

32. Kathi - July 12, 2006 at 2:37 pm -

McEnroe married Tatum O’Neil, who starred w/Kristy in Little Darlings. Of course it didn’t last. Jodie Foster was in Panic Room. Leave poor Kristy alone!

33. Brogg - July 20, 2006 at 11:17 am -

She sounds bitter to me. I would have said something to the effect of ” sorry to bother you there, washup. I really love your work, you really are a good actress becuse in real life you suck.”

34. Burt - October 3, 2006 at 5:50 pm -

I also a hugh fan of Kristy! I lived in Austin,Texas though the chance of running to her is very slim. She was my teen idol & a role model (Buddy Lawrance) when I was in high school! I always thought she was the most unique, special, gifted, & totally cute actress (one-of-a-kind) that i have ever known. It would be a DREAM COMES TRUE to meet her in person. After reading your encounter with her…If this is true…I’m shocked & very sad. It’s almost sounded like you just make it up! If I met her in person & she was mean to me..I would definitely cry in front of her! She was such a role model for me for soooo long! I still can’t believe it!
    Please tell me you just made up the story! Burt

35. Sally - October 5, 2006 at 1:11 pm -

I do not believe everything you say about Kristy. She is not like that

36. Phil Compton - October 10, 2006 at 12:54 pm -

What town does she live in? Have you seen her Since? Very Sad indeed as she was a great looking girl with huge potential.

37. Cheryl Merrill - November 23, 2006 at 2:58 am -

Oh my God. I don’t care how ugly and ordinary Kristy McNichol gets from here on out. I love her forever, and ever and ever. So much. I really love her. I love this woman. Pleease, please let her be happy. I love this girl, forever. Forever. Please someone protect Kristy McNichol and let her be happy forever. She gave so much to my youth. I’ll never forget this girl as long as I live and wish her eternal love, peace and happiness.

Kristy McNichol, I love you forever. You can get 80 and ugly and I will never ever forget the love and joy you brought to my youth. I love this woman so much. May she find eternal peace forever and ever.

38. Teresa - January 3, 2007 at 6:55 pm -

OMG!
    The reason so many celebs wish they were never in the spotlight are because of people like you. Kristy has done so much for all of us and she deserves to keep her private life PRIVATE!
    Find something else to do with your time.

39. Stephanie Monticello - January 8, 2007 at 8:39 am -

I was always in love with KM. she was beautiful…..
    i am very surprised she reacted that way…..i mean, i have days where i see friends i am not in the mood for, but i surely don’t throw a can of beeforoni(lol) at them…

wow, she must have had it rough…but still, we love her anyway…PS your KM files here (reported sightings) make me laugh my ass off. kee em’ coming. i am so curious to see what she looks like now, it drives me nuts………
    my girlfriend/partner (we are “open” about being lesbians..lol) looks just like her in her early days…i am a lucky girl..

40. Stephen - February 24, 2007 at 1:42 pm -

I was going through these comments and I finally found something that gave me a ray of hope. That being when I read posts by people who (as I do) question the truthfulness of this jibberish.

I can’t believe how many of you people accept this as gospel. All of you need to be smacked upside the head for being so blind and gullible.

Those lame pictures you took could be anyone for chrissakes. It could be me for all you know lol.

Christ almighty people…. I have to seriously question just how much grey matter you have upstairs.

41. Stephen - February 24, 2007 at 1:46 pm -

How would you react if some stranger you didn’t know was all of a sudden taking pictures of you with their phone?

In my state we have CCW (carry concealed weapon) permit. I have one myself. I would have shot your ass lol.

42. Christine - March 6, 2007 at 10:43 am -

Did you hear about the fake Kristy site on myspace, the fake Kristy had everyone beleive it was her. VERY creepy.

43. Cheryl Merrill - April 14, 2007 at 11:34 am -

Beware, this guy rewrites comments! He rewrote my above comment on Kristy claiming I wrote “ordinary” and “ugly” when I had written, I don’t care how she looks when she’s 80″ or something to that effect. He also admits he lies and seeks professional help for it. He’s just typical Hollywood con material.

44. […] story begins back in November of 2005 when I ran into Kristy McNichol at the supermarket. Not wanting to disturb her shopping frenzy (and onion soup purchasing) I snapped a few cell phone […]

45. Dave2 - April 15, 2007 at 8:11 pm -

And speaking of needing professional help…

46. Kate - April 20, 2007 at 10:12 pm -

Pauly – this is such a defining moment for you in blogger history. you have a person with rhyming name call you out.

This WHOLE time, I thought you were telling to truth. Pauly, if it hadn’t been for this Scooby Do dectective work, I would have gone on believing and believing.

What will you do now?