Jeremy Sisto’s Dog Likes My Dog

Do you watch HBO’s Six Feet Under?

Are you familiar with Brenda’s psychotic brother Billy (Jeremy Sisto)? He’s come in and out of the quirky hour long cable drama as an artist, then a psycho-sister loving artist, then a pretty normal shaved head on my medication artist, then a lost-in-love with Claire artist who stops taking his pills, then a psycho-sister loving artist.

Really, it’s bookended really well. Nice job, Six Feet writers!

This past weekend, though, while walking around with my dog at the Laurel Canyon dog park up on Mullholland Drive — Billy was out and about with a character we have yet to be introduced to on Six Feet Under (which I suspect has something to do with the fact that real life AND television are not one in the same)…his puny little rat dog.

Don’t get me wrong, but there was Jeremy Sisto and two of his entourage sitting around with their shirts off as Billy ran around with his little pooch — it was a tad underwhelming if not due to the fact that you’d expect someone who plays a psychotic artist on TV to at least have a Pug or a Pitbull or a mix (i.e. mixed up) canine. You’d expect that for someone like Sisto, who can go from sane to insane on the turn of a dime that his dog would be just as crazy. But unfortunately, this was not the case.

However, something very special occurred.

Without any prompting of my own, without any matchmaking of any sort going on — Jeremy Sisto’s dog sauntered over to my dog in what seemed like an extremely subtle and well-played move… And perused and sniffed my dog.

Me: “Hey, your dog likes my dog!”

Jeremy Sisto looked at me like I had just told him that he’d have to go back on the medication he was fictitiously not-taking on his not-so real scripted HBO show. He didn’t say a thing, just looked back to his “shirtless bros” sitting on a bench a few feet away and looked back down as his dog gave my dog a little lick.

Me: “Yup. Your dog definitely likes my dog.”

Again, Sisto looked at me and moved his hand to his belt area of his pants — I have wondered if he was getting ready to (a) pull out a knife, (b) pull out something else a little more blunt or (c) hit me with an open hand and scream “Brenda!” at the same time. Instead, he said:

Jeremy: “Heh, yeah.”

“Heh, yeah?” Jeremy Sisto, who plays a psychotic, artistic, crazy, vocal, insane wannabe mental patient on Six Feet Under not only had nothing to say but a seven letter phrase that was more Beavis & Butthead than anything else. He just stood there, watching passively as his dog and my dog sniffed each other for a moment.

“Heh, yeah” rang and echoed through my brain as time stood still — as two dogs sniffed their day away in the middle of a hot, huge field in the hills above Hollywood. “Heh, yeah” continued to ring in my ears as I saw Jeremy Sisto’s career flash before my eyes — there was Grand Canyon and Clueless and that Jesus movie-of-the-week. But above all, there was his spirited and glassy-eyed medicated performance of Billy, the sister-loving, pill popping, ready-to-blow a gasket character who never in my dreams would have a silly little rat dog or respond with the phrase “Heh, yeah” as he watched his dog find paradise in another dog’s scent.

I couldn’t leave well enough alone.

Me: “Heh, yeah? That’s all you have to say? I mean, look. Our dogs like each other.”

Jeremy: “Excuse me?”

Well, now he was up to nine letters in a response that was just as underwhelming as the previous one.

Me: Our dogs like each other. That means something. Don’t you think?”

Jeremy: “What does it mean?”

He was getting a little uncomfortable and annoyed it seemed, it was boiling from inside out — I recognized that look from that one episode of Six Feet where he flipped out and tried to carve his name in his sister’s back with a sharp knife. I took a step back and whistled to my dog.

Me: “Nothing, forget about it. It’s all good.”

Jeremy: “No, what do you mean?”

Me: “It’s just that… Well… It looks like our dogs like each other, you know, they’re sniffing and this is a big dog park so it’s sort of, you know, a coincidence! Fate!”

He looked at me, surveying the situation and possibly (I hoped) the ironic nature of the situation at hand.

Jeremy: “Heh, yeah.”

I couldn’t do it any longer. I picked up my dog and left the location as quickly as possible, leaving Mr. Two Word Response to his entourage, his lack of verbosity, and his tiny little rat dog behind.

Damn you Hollywood. You’re nothing like you’re supposed to be.

(Update: Our new friends at popbytes confirm the sighting as well.)

26 comments on “Jeremy Sisto’s Dog Likes My Dog

1. kristine - July 26, 2005 at 8:08 am -

if you were a hot chick, like myself, i’m sure he would’ve said more. jeremy sisto is so effing hot. can i walk your dog some time, PD?

2. Pauly D - July 26, 2005 at 8:09 am -

If you can get Jeremy Sisto to live up to his ranting Six Feet Under persona — you can walk my dog anytime.

3. kristine - July 26, 2005 at 8:39 am -

oh, i can work it. i’ll just need a few supplies…some breath mints, a sporty car, and some masking tape. i’ll be there at 7 for Jack.

4. Amy Steier - July 26, 2005 at 9:45 am -

Perhaps he’s just shy or incredibly stupid. Or maybe both.

5. Will - July 26, 2005 at 10:36 am -

Well, it would seem that Jeremy Sisto should be ashamed of his lack of social skills, but ashamed of nothing else, because having a small, somewhat rat-like dog is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nope. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

6. Em - July 26, 2005 at 10:39 am -

Ya know, Pauly, I have to say that many of the television celebrities you’ve encountered are now forever altered in my Midwestern, never-encountered-a-celebrity mind…

Furthermore, I’m unconvinced that I must move to Hollywood this very instant to engage in interesting and exciting conversations with the stars, if a typical response is ‘Heh, yeah’ …or if someone gets unnecessarily pissy–totally unwilling to return a favor as insignificant as getting some no-do creamer…

(That’s right–I can barely even watch ‘That 70’s Show’ anymore without grumbling about DM…)

And now this…

7. xta - July 26, 2005 at 10:41 am -

so, did jeremy have his shirt off, too??

8. C(h)ristine - July 26, 2005 at 11:33 am -

…actors, when they don’t have a script to read off of!

…are you really meeting these people? how much are you garnishing…? because these are hilarious interactions, ficitious or anecdotal.

9. Pauly D - July 26, 2005 at 11:37 am -

C(h)ristine — these are actual interactions, not fictitious in the least.

If they were fictitious, they’d probably be way less boring and normal than you’d expect. I mean, I wish BIlly (er, Jeremy) would have gone all crazy on me, but faced with such random suggestions coming out of my mouth, I guess you can’t blame him.

10. mk - July 26, 2005 at 2:15 pm -

hey i saw him too at the park – i’m glad i didn’t bother with him – but i will say the dog was cute (im a small dog lover anyways)

here is my post

blog on – great site u have here!

11. kartooner - July 26, 2005 at 6:14 pm -

Now I’m having some crazy flashbacks about Clueless.

12. groovebunny - July 26, 2005 at 6:22 pm -

That has to be the most unflattering pic I’ve seen of Sisto. He looks like someone just woke him up for his nap in the gutter. lol I used to think he was a nice hunk of manhood until I saw him play Crazy in Six Feet Under. He’s just too freaky in that role.

13. sarah - July 26, 2005 at 6:36 pm -

my dog would have ate his dog. this would have given him something more to say than “heh, yeah.”

heheheee..

14. sarah - July 26, 2005 at 6:36 pm -

he looks completely mental in that picture.. btw.

15. JJ - July 27, 2005 at 5:10 am -

His bro’s were probably his writers. He kept looking back at them for his line but was able to leap into the dialog gap with a quick improv of “heh, yeah.” He probably went back to his writer buddies and told them about how he had just improvised so well and how he was no for his improv skills. And his writers nodded and said, “Heh, yeah.”

16. Helena - July 27, 2005 at 12:24 pm -

He gives me uber creeps.

But what if he’d been like, Yeah, our dogs are meant to be together. I don’t think I can go on living if they aren’t.

On a semi-related note, I am eagerly anticipating the day that we read, on some celebrity blog, about their strange encounter with Pauly D…and how he wasn’t nearly as big-headed as they’d hoped.

17. hkd - July 27, 2005 at 4:25 pm -

paul, forget your dog, i’ll come down there, put you on a leash, and see what happens. it’s could be fun.

18. Dave - July 27, 2005 at 6:00 pm -

Wait a minute! What’s this about TV and real life not being one in the same. Are you sure? This better be a joke and if it is, it’s not funny. I am going to be sitting here refreshing my browser until you respond and take that back.

19. Pauly D - July 27, 2005 at 6:05 pm -

Dave.

Sit down.

I need to tell you something.

Are you sitting down?

Good.

(I was just kidding. TV and real life are the same thing. Don’t tell anyone else. Now I have to go get dinner and play Dragon’s Lair with Rick Stratton from Silver Spoons. The “Ricker” is such a cool dude. I’ll tell him you said hi.)

OK.

20. Dave - July 27, 2005 at 6:18 pm -

Really, you’re not kidding? Oh well, I must still be feeling the effects from that horrible homemade slip and slide accident back in the day. I knew I shouldn’t have used those logs to hold down the trash bags.

(Oh, thank God. I was just about to lose my mind. I mean just the other day I was helping Face, Hannibal, and Murdock once again trick B.A. Baracus into getting on an airplane and I thought you were telling me that that didn’t actually happen. Oops, gotta go. K.I.T.T. just pulled up. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me!)

21. C(h)ristine - July 28, 2005 at 2:15 pm -

I believe you Pauly! I was just wondering if you embellished these accounts at all — and if so, to what extent. Before of course, I go on and repeat them. You know, gotta verify my sources and such. 🙂

Somehow, them being completely non-fiction…it is all the more amusing. This is what I miss by not living in L.A. anymore…!

Though I could give you weird gossip about Power Geeks here in the SF/Bay Area.

22. Rita - August 9, 2005 at 7:44 pm -

I suspect Jeremy is nothing like the characters he plays in real life. He’s like alot of actors and actresses, they’re great at articulating other people’s words, and expressing fictional character’s feelings. Thats what makes him a good actor. That doesn’t make him stupid nor insensitive. Probably, he didn’t know what to say and is quite shy. Maybe, he was looking for some privacy amongst all the people. And like alot of creative people, he just might be an introvert who has to get to know someone before having a meaningful conversation. As an actress (though small-time), I know.

23. kosi - August 12, 2005 at 9:35 pm -

i am more than jealous… jeremy is like so frick’n hott. but to be honest i too would of been like “hey, yeah” thats it? he’s so pretty, was his shirt off too???
    🙂
    Much Love from Canada

24. orca - September 19, 2006 at 2:46 pm -

What did you really expect him to say to “our dogs like each other” It’s not like you guys are buddies or anything…if some person said that to me that I didn’t know I’d probably say the same thing and I’m not dumb or shy…I’m NORMAL. Quite frankly the way you told the story…YOU came off like the psycho…

25. […] Disasters, Podcast, Disasters The Health Department gives me a survey about disasters and the surveyor gets frustrated with my barrage of ludicrous questions. Trivia: Six Feet Under and Kidnapped’s Jeremy Sisto is sitting beside me as I record this podcast, eating grilled cheese. […]

26. Windy - February 26, 2007 at 9:13 am -

Was he in the large dog section or the small one?

I saw Ryder Strong at this dog park, he had a big and little dog, so he was in the big dog section. My puppy was all dirty, and he went to pet her. I warned him ahead of time that she was muddy and dirty, he said “oh, that’s okay” and pet her any way. He is allot cuter in person.