Words For Your Enjoyment: Rock n’ Roll

After taking a huge financial hit last week via “Words For Your Enjoyment 2.0″ in which yours truly opened his big mouth and offered up a ham (yes, a ham) to the person whose idea I ended up using, I have decided that a well-needed no-pork product hiatus was what we all needed.

And it just happened to coincide with a brand-new edition of Mental Floss Magazine.

The new March/April edition of the magazine, on stands now, features a 10-pager by yours truly called Scatterbrained: Rock n’ Roll. It’s ten pages filled with really humorous and interesting tidbits on the world’s craziest drummers, video games and rock stars joining forces, the British Invasion, groupies, sell-outs and a bunch on the business of rock n’ roll. It was a blast to put together, and inspired a previous post about how rock n’ roll these days is nothing compared to the majesty of what used to be.

If you pick it up, you’ll see — there are great stories and secrets in rock n’ roll’s history, that today’s artists just don’t seem to offer up.

In other news, my piece in the March issue of WIRED is now available for your perusal online. I’d love to know what you guys think about it. Wired or Tired? Your call.

8 comments on “Words For Your Enjoyment: Rock n’ Roll

1. Dylan - February 25, 2005 at 9:40 am -

Except that the Wired link on their home page is just to a jpg, and not the article.

2. Pauly D - February 25, 2005 at 9:42 am -

Actually, Dylan — it’s not an article, but a conceptual piece.

Wired’s FOUND is the backpage of the magazine, and highlights a scene from the future. So in this case, I came up with the concept, the text and the idea — Wired made it look pretty.

So what you see there — a visual last page of this month’s issue, is just that…a visual last page image.

3. sam - February 25, 2005 at 1:55 pm -

These are thoughts that popped into my mind at random:

I hate flying
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Yah, I’d risk a DNA mesh to avoid airline travel
    I wish I had a private jet
    Pauly D is clever
    I wish I was clever

4. Will - February 25, 2005 at 2:01 pm -

Ham arrived at the door today. I’ll post some pictures of it on my blog later. She’s resting in the fridge right now.

As for your Wired magazine thingy, I’m curious to know just how soon this future is. Personally, I’m still anxiously awaiting flying cars, which (according to Back to the Future Part II) should be arriving in just ten more years.

5. Pauly D - February 25, 2005 at 2:01 pm -

Just the fact that I looked at your comment, sam, for about ten minutes trying to figure out exactly why you thought some of those things while reading that entry, well — you get 10 points.

No ham, but 10 points, which you can use towards a special WFME prize page that will be up at some point in the next month.

6. Kathleen - February 25, 2005 at 2:23 pm -

you’re getting too expensive for me…

7. Dylan - February 26, 2005 at 12:02 am -

Sorry, Pauly D.
    I feel so very stupid.
    Stupid, Stupid. Crap.

8. Lena - March 14, 2005 at 10:09 pm -

Love love LOVE seeing your stuff in all the mags. You rock, as usual.