The State of the ‘Lurker’

Aah, the lurkers.

They spend their day going about their business, reading other people’s blogs, never commenting and being as invisible as they want to be. They are quiet, unassuming and often they are people that you probably know.

Every once in awhile, of course, the lurker comes out from their curtain long enough to comment on something that really got their goat or hit them where it counted. And while some bloggers treat that moment as a “Well, jeez. What took you so long to comment!?” moment, I instead like to treat it as a coming out party.

I mean, why not?

So from here on forward…when a lurker of WFME comes out of the shadows, I would like to enact such fanfare for that person on that day. For example, if John Doe comes out of the woodwork on February 21st — then February 21st will forever be John Doe Lurker Come-Out Day on WFME. And every time February 21st comes around we will celebrate all that is John Doe Lurker.

I will order the toast, the jam, the party horns and the jello. You just show up.

In other news, it has come to my attention that offering someone a ham for their “Words For Your Enjoyment 2.0″ idea is a financial risk I can no longer take. After using Will‘s idea for Friday’s WFYE 2.0, I promptly went to buy him a ham and realized that in today’s day and age hams cost like sixty-bucks.

Not to be an Indian giver, I promptly ordered Will his honey-baked ham and sent it on its way. (Should arrive on your doorstep soon, Will, so keep your honey-baked eyes open for it.) As for WFYE 2.0, I am no longer offering hams for ideas. From here on forward, I will have created “Words For Your Enjoyment 3.0″ in which I will be giving away imaginary automobiles. That’s where you tell me what car you want me to send you (any make, model, year) and I will tell you I’ve sent it to you and when you don’t see it I tell you “just imagine it’s there” and that’s your prize.

Creative, huh?

11 comments on “The State of the ‘Lurker’

1. Superinkygirl - February 21, 2005 at 9:15 am -

You’re funny. Being new to the blogging world, I’m amazed how utterly addicted I am to surfing other’s blogs. It’s fascinating how different we all are, yet so many of us blog about the same stuff. Hunter S. Thompson anyone? I mean, I didn’t really know the guy’s stuff, but I already blogged about him… along with a 99% of the blogs I’ve hit since I heard the news. Anyway, keep up the good work. I shall lurk no more. Let this day be known as Superinkygirl’s Coming Out Day!

2. steve - February 21, 2005 at 9:35 am -

I don’t know about you, but I think that 3.0 sounds like a huge regression. In protest, I won’t eat ham on Fridays for the next FIVE weeks!

3. C(h)ristine - February 21, 2005 at 10:20 am -

Hey! You stole th eimaginary car idea from the show “Lost” — you know, with the imaginary peanut butter and all!

Christine “I don’t eat ham anyway” Zilka

4. Andrea - February 21, 2005 at 10:33 am -

I did not blog about Hunter S. Thompson. I blogged about getting out of class early. I’m not a lurker, though, because I haven’t been able to read in a while, Pauly D.

As for the automobile prize, I think that’s an awful idea. What about some of that yummy Jamba Juice that we can’t find in the Midwest?

5. Pauly D - February 21, 2005 at 10:49 am -

February 21st is, so far, SuperinkyGirl’s Come Out Day!

I can’t wait till next Feb 21st, when I will redesign the entire site with SuperinkyGirl in mind.

Woo hoo!

6. srah - February 21, 2005 at 11:32 am -

I delurked months ago and no one threw me a party!

7. monkeyinabox - February 21, 2005 at 3:03 pm -

Man, Will hit the jackpot. The only ham ever awarded. Cotton Candy still is a good option, if you can get it cheap, it’s cheap to send. Or you could always get Mark to round up used Mavs jock straps.

8. Will - February 21, 2005 at 4:52 pm -

Wow, I’m not so sure I’m deserving of this juicy, delicious honor. One of these days I’ll find a way to repay you.

9. Zombie_Flyboy - February 21, 2005 at 9:38 pm -

Dangit, I delurked a few days too early. Oh well, this gives me renewed motivation to get back to work on my time machine.

10. still lurking - February 22, 2005 at 4:34 pm -

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11. Superinkygirl - February 24, 2005 at 10:32 pm -

Am I the only one coming out or what, people? Let us all be proud and lurk no more!