The Majesty of Rock ‘n Roll (Or, What Once Was)

I just finished another 10-page piece for Mental Floss Magazine recently that was all about rock ‘n roll. The piece (which will run in their Mar/April issue) convinced me of one very startling revelation. That, today, the majesty of rock n’ roll is dead and gone.

What do I mean by that?

Just that the mystery, the drama, the stories, the huge concert tours, the wild groupies, the freedom and the wildly independent feel has been all but squashed by Corporate America. Look at bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers, Journey, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, and even 80’s mega bands like Def Leppard, U2, INXS, Duran Duran, etc, etc, etcetera!

Before the 90’s, America had decades upon decades of huge bands with huge personas with huge concert tours with huge fan bases… All of it contributed to this grandiose and majestic feel that accompanied the world of rock ‘n roll. But today?

I am pretty damn sure that the Internet has killed the majesty of Rock n’ Roll.

Before the Internet it’s not like you could download music of a band or go to people’s websites to see pictures of a band or read more about a band. You may have seen a band on TV performing, but that was about it. You possibly went out and bought a record and listened to it over and over again. But we weren’t inundated with all-media all-the-time for said bands. It was about getting out there, seeing them in person, experiencing them, and so on.

Don’t get me wrong — I live in Los Angeles… A place where you can see live music on any night just about anywhere on Sunset Boulevard.

But there’s just something missing. Dare I say, some kind of majesty and mystery? Dare I say it?

Yes. I dare.

7 comments on “The Majesty of Rock ‘n Roll (Or, What Once Was)

1. Will - January 18, 2005 at 7:53 pm -

I can’t wait to see the article, since last issue’s was so great that I placed a one year-subsciption. Keep it up.

2. Pauly D - January 18, 2005 at 9:46 pm -

Thanks, Will!

3. monkeyinabox - January 19, 2005 at 2:28 pm -

Before the internet! That was the dark ages!! Atleast that’s how it felt. Infofreaks rejoice! The internet has made live shows an experience for those people who don’t live in the large marjkets.

4. Kevin - January 20, 2005 at 9:52 am -

Waitaminute…you’re only realizing this JUST NOW?!? Rock and roll has been dead for a long time, long before the internet came around.

5. Jurgen - January 22, 2005 at 4:58 pm -

When rock N roll is dead, then all things will be dead. When all things are dead, there will be nothing but the void. In the void, there is nothing but ‘Xaydertrauch’ Master of the Divine Misfortune. So sayeth Dykstra – chapter 13, “Waking Dream Life, Sleeping Lucidity”

6. axe - May 13, 2005 at 7:27 pm -

Rock nroll started dying the first time The first top ten single was a r&b song

7. Something Requisitely Witty and Urbane - January 18, 2005 at 11:44 pm -

The Majesty of Rock ‘n Roll, Take 2

Pauly D. makes an interesting point tonight:…the mystery, the drama, the stories, the huge concert tours, the wild groupies, the freedom and the wildly independent feel has been all but squashed by Corporate America. Look at bands like The Who,