Funny Words (Author’s Opinion Only)

The Jan/Feb issue of mental_floss magazine hits stands right about now (yes, seriously, like this exact minute in time) and features my mammoth 10 pager article, “Scatterbrained: Figures of Speech.”

It is, all at once, exciting, exhilirating, interesting, intriguing, mind-blowing, humorous, happy-go-lucky, sinister, evil, a shadow of what it once was, and going through puberty.

If you get a chance, pick up a copy!

7 comments on “Funny Words (Author’s Opinion Only)

1. Dawn (webmiztris) - December 30, 2004 at 9:05 am -

That’s awesome! I’ll have to see if I can find that magazine ’round these bumfuck parts. Congrats!

2. Melissa - December 30, 2004 at 9:40 am -

I love Mental Floss magazine. I found this on the stands at Borders bookstore a couple of years ago, and absolutely loved it. So, of course I subscribed to it, and look forward to reading your article. Great stuff!

3. Pauly D - December 30, 2004 at 10:02 am -

Yeah, in addition to Borders you can find it at Barnes & Noble, Walmart and really-good newsstands (in LA, most newsstands have it.)

Which doesn’t mean, per se, that LA newsstands are really-good compared to the rest of the country’s newsstands, but well…you know.

4. groovebunny - December 30, 2004 at 10:09 am -

As it is payday today…yes I shall be picking up my copy of Mental Floss today on my way to the toy store. 🙂

5. Melissa - December 30, 2004 at 10:09 am -

Wow, even Wal-Mart carries it now. I remember not too long ago feeling as if I carried some fabulous secret because I knew of this magazine and my poor friends did not. So, of course, I would share my copy after I finished reading it, and for the longest time I would not tell them where they could buy it. Yes, evil of me, I know. Looks like they are moving up in the world. I just went to the web site and ordered the new book and the 2005 calendar. Good stuff.

6. Will - December 30, 2004 at 12:32 pm -

That’s pretty darn cool. I can’t wait to be disappointed when I don’t find the magazine at the newstand right outside my train station. In which case, I’ll try to find it at Barnes & Noble.

7. Tyler - September 18, 2006 at 7:24 pm -

I know this comment is a little late, but I just found your blog via Google. Is the article you wrote available electronically? I ask because I recently started a database of inherently funny words and phrases and I’m wondering what figures of speech you mention and if there’s any overlap.

Thanks for any help!