I Have A Chewing Gum Problem

Someone not-so-famous once told me, “If you’re not addicted to drugs or alcohol or gambling or sex or washing your hands a thousand times a day or switching the lightswitches on and off and on and off or killing people or making your kids watch those freaky-looking Teletubbies or doing anything resembling a criminal act — anything you do is probably pretty much okay.”

They obviously never met anyone like me, who has a chewing gum problem.

No matter what I do, I cannot convince myself that one piece of gum is enough. The “chewing gum enough-factor” which I have dubbed it for lack of a better one and because I recently axed “the factor that involves chewing gum not being enough just so you know” and C.G.F for short — it keeps my inner-instinct from being satisfied with just one piece, and here is why:

1. Size. Any piece of chewing gum, even the Orbit brand which is longer than previously shrimpy versions of Trident and such, is still not enough. If I can’t fill up the pouch under my lower lip or the area above my teeth against my gums, it is not enough. If a piece of gum, after losing its flavor, seems as small as a piece of food remnant left in my mouth from an earlier meal – it is just not going to work for me.

2. Flavor. One piece of gum has an exponentially low flavor threshhold. One piece of gum’s flavor lasts about as long as it took me to type this sentence.

3. Chew. One piece of gum will not give my chewing muscles the workout they need. Have you ever chewed a whole pack of gum at once for 30 minutes straight, stopped chewing, and then felt the side of your cheeks (the muscles) bulging? That’s a true workout. You’re basically burning off the calories of the piece of gum by giving those muscles a well-needed workout. But with a piece of gum, you might as well be lifting a 5 lb. weight with your tongue, because it’s girly-man stuff.

4. Sarcasm. While chewing one piece of gum, dialogue like “yeah, whatever”, “sure, dude” and “you wish” do not come across as sarcastic. That is because your piece of gum is so small, no one will ever know that you are chewing while talking to them, which is supposed to communicate that you could care less about them. Five pieces in a massive chewy ball in the side of your cheek, while you say the above statements, well — that works. One piece? You’re selling yourself short.

5. Intelligence. If someone asks you a question while chewing ONE piece of gum, while in mid-chew, it takes very little to stop chewing, move the gum to inside your cheek, and answer. But what if you’re chewing a whole big ball of the stuff? And THEN someone asks you a question? It will take you a good 30 seconds to get your mouth free of gum (whilest moving it to the side) to answer the question vocally. This will make you appear smarter. Why? Because you’re taking 30 seconds to think of the answer. If you are chewing one piece of gum and you answer quickly, whether you’re right or wrong — the asker will think you are wrong.

Like I said, I have a chewing gum problem.

I can go through a pack of gum (and not a 5 piece pack but a 14-pack Orbit extended-length pack) in about 20 minutes by chewing at least 2-3 pieces at a time. Sometimes, when I’m going on a very long drive I may actually pack about 6-7 in my mouth for an extra burst of flavorful-excitement. The more gum I can pack in and chew with skill — the more confident I am in myself, my chewing skillz and my bulging cheek-muscles’ ability to handle the job.

Sure, some people have called it a compulsion. But a compulsion is only a compulsion when very few people share the same compulsion. This world is a world where people are obsessed with chewing gum. They eat it all day long. They eat in inbetween meals. They eat it on the phone, in the car, at the gym, while laying in bed, in school, at depositions and while they’re having sex.

Chewing gum is not just my problem. It is everyone’s problem.

So, find me a person who chews one piece of gum at a time and I’ll give you someone who is cut-off, isolated, considered to be a flat-cheek muscled fast-answerer who is often answering questions they don’t know the answers to and looked down upon because of it.

For the reality is this — what some people may consider a problem…may in fact be, a blessing.

161 comments on “I Have A Chewing Gum Problem

1. Mike - April 18, 2007 at 7:38 pm -

I’ve been chewing about 2 1/2 packs of Orbit a day for some two months now, and I’ve actually lost weight.

Although sometimes I have trouble urinating. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Chewey - April 23, 2007 at 7:43 pm -

Hey Mike, Orbit is a sugar free gum and it can cause a laxitive effect if you chew too much of it. This is due to the sugar alcohols that are used as the top ingredients. I find Sorbitol to be the worst offender. As for water retention, I have also experienced that phenomenon from sugar free gum, as well as sugared gum. I think that any sugars, whether they are made from the real thing or from derivitives, can cause the body to retain fluid. It’s not your imagination. After I would chew a few packs of sugarfree gum I would notice water retention in my face, and in my fingers. Strange! I switched to regular gum after I began to have way too many negative effects from sugarfree stuff. The problem is, the difference in calories is quite significant. Bet of luck to you.

On a positive note, I now have 10 days of freedom from my chewing obsession. 20 more to go to break the habit!

Ms Chewey

3. Lynn - April 23, 2007 at 9:42 pm -

Comrades! I found this site when searching for ways to get off the gum. I quit a 23 year smoking habit about 4 1/2 years ago. Before that I never chewed gum. Hated to chew gum, which is strange because at the time I was over 100 lbs overweight, and had been for years. I must have liked chewing something – ha ha. Well, that and I drank buckets of regular soda a day. Ok, so I quit smoking, I just turned 40, I’m 265 lbs. Something’s gotta give, man. Joined a 12 step for food addiction. Lost 120 lbs in about 14 months. I was kicking ass and taking names. Somewhere along the line I picked up the gum. Hated chewing, but that flavor burst to an addict, oh yea baby. When you have to weigh and measure your food and report what your going to eat and not go 1/8 of an ounce over that to maintain sobriety, then some days that gum was my lover/enemy. Yeah I was up to 5 packs and the worst gas and stomache aches ever. I got on the diet soda as well. I was able to kick the habit for a month here, a week there, but nothing long term. I had a relapse about 1 1/2 years ago. Quickly put on 50 lbs. even while on the gum. It doesn’t stop the binges. Now the binges have somewhat subsided. I’ve been able to maintain one peice at a time most days, so I’m down to under 2 large packs a day. That was the hardest part. Still had some of the gas. And the addict in me just thinks, well, if you chew more gum it will push those big ole painful gas bubbles out faster. It’s a sickness, man! Screw suing McDonalds for getting fat, I say let’s get the Wrigleys and Tridents for the social isolation due to deadly farts and all the painful times I’ve chomped down on the gum only to bite my tongue.
    Fraud would say we never got out of our oral stage. I agree. At 44 if no gum is around, I’ll suck my thumb to avoid gaining more weight.

4. Chewey - April 25, 2007 at 9:29 am -

Welcome Ms Lynn, you are hilarious! You should write your own column or blog!
    Yeah, the oral fixation is crazy….It’s a known fact that gum chewing relieves anxiety. That is why they tell students to chew gum during exams. That sugarfree stuff really is gas producing and does make for smelly farts! LOL, I don’t know how a partner or loved one puts up with it..
    I am sad to report that after 12 days sober, last night I had a huge slip/binge. I hope to get back on track today. I don’t know what the trigger was, but I have an idea. If I eat a large salad for dinner and become sickingly full, I crave the gum afterwards…I guess it helps me digest and solves the sweet tooth after eating. Tonight I will try to cut back on the bowl of salad which will leave me room for an apple afterwards…
    Hope you can keep your consumption minimal..HAve you noticed that even Wrigleys sugared gum has Nutrasweet in the ingredients??? Yes, almost all gum does, as it is a flavor enhancer.
    Signing off now,
    Chewey.

5. Nick - April 26, 2007 at 6:31 pm -

lol, 3 years later – still so true. glad to know that im not the only one. i got through about 240 pieces every 3 days…trident with xylitol..mmm – i mix and match flavors…2 watermelon twist…2 tropical twist…1 cinnamon…omg awesome flavor!

6. Chewey - April 26, 2007 at 9:50 pm -

Nick, don’t you get the “farts” from that xylitol? LOL!!!!!

7. AF - May 2, 2007 at 7:43 am -

I can not seem to stay away from the new Trident Strawberry Fusion kind. This addiction/habit is getting ridiculous! So does anyone have any suggestions as far as quitting goes? Help!

8. Chewey - May 4, 2007 at 9:37 pm -

AF, well I have thought about being Hypnotized…it works for smokers…
    Part of me doesn’t want to give it up just yet….as I chew….

9. GiMen - May 18, 2007 at 6:54 pm -

OMG! I found you all…I am so addicted to gum. I have been chewing for 20 years, but the past 5 years since I quit smoking my chewing is out of control. Same stuff that all of you have said. I chew one piece after another after another until I’ve gone throught several BIG packs a day. My fav is Extra Winterfresh.

I hate my addiction and came here hoping to find some help to no avail. My digestive system is screwed up, my jaws hurt, my teeth are SO sensitive. The main reason I’ve decided to stop or to try to find help is because my neck muscles are starting to get really sore to the point that it hurts really bad all the time.

10. lauren - May 19, 2007 at 11:39 pm -

I thought I was alone, and then my husband got addicted….I swear there must be crack in this gum. I also chew orbit citrusmint, bubblemint, lemonmint…..I was hooked on trident tropical twist for a while too. I never thought there could be side effects to gum chewing!!! Great, one more thing I have to quit. I liked being crazy rather than “addicted”….damn it.

11. Sarah - May 20, 2007 at 7:49 pm -

So like all of you, I am addicted to chewing gum. I feel naked if I don’t have a pack of orbit/dentyne ice/trident in my purse. I know I can’t quit right now because it really helps my anxiety. What are everyone’s thoughts on the side effects of xylitol vs sorbitol etc?

I first started chewing gum to lose weight and have something sweet to eat instead of a dessert. But now I chew about 2 14-packs a day and it has become an annoying and expensive habit! It makes m e bloated and gasy and the side effects are not pleasant. Ah! I’m glad I’m not alone because my family thinks I’m crazy and I thought I was the only one with these issues.

12. Ellen Mullins - May 27, 2007 at 10:45 am -

I quit smoking 17 years ago. But ever since I can remember, I love gum! I chewed it growing up, through my smoking years, and even more now that I don’t smoke! I also like to put a piece of spearmint candy in my mouth with the gum! An extra boost of flavor! I believe it is all oral fixation, and basically it is better than over-eating! But it still is unneccessary calories through the day. So I will probablynever give up this habit

13. obsessed w/ gum - July 20, 2007 at 6:33 pm -

i am so addicted to gum. i find myself chewing at most 6 packs a day(about 72 pieces) i find all the spare cash i have, run to walgreens and buy several three packs (preferably eclipse winterfrost) i need help. i can’t stop. it is a major problem. i recently read that an average american chews about 1.8 pounds of gum annually but as you can tell i am not average. how do i stop. please help. i am most worried about the costs of my addiction and medical side affects that i might not be aware of.

14. AF - July 23, 2007 at 6:24 am -

So how do we go about quitting? Should we try a weaning approach or just cold turkey? Thank goodness I never started smoking, I can’t even seem to shake this habit! I’m sure some would say that if gum is our biggest vice we are doing okay, but there are minor side effects (as some of you have shared) and I don’t think it’s good to be addicted to anything! Any help is appreciated! And Chewey- I probably won’t take your advice on getting hypnotized, but thanks for your efforts.

15. Christy - July 25, 2007 at 6:43 pm -

hey, I want you to email me your address and I will mail you some free gum. All I ask in return is that you consider buying it when you are done eating all the free stuff…I’m also assuming you still have a gum obsession 3 years after this entry.

🙂

truthfully, I’m working a promotion giving away free gum and have some extra I could donate to your gum obsession.

let me know if you are interested.

16. Whitney - August 13, 2007 at 12:44 am -

What is this really? Why are we kind of unfortunate? I have been chewing peppermint gum, and only peppermint gum constantly for three years straight. Yesterday was my first day in three years without chewing a single peice and I thought I was going to die. I have this nervous habbit of chewing gum, and I am the most nervous person you will ever meet. Do you know what that results in? YES, chewing gum constantly

17. Ryan - August 16, 2007 at 2:14 pm -

I have been chewing up to two packs of Orbit spearmint a day since I quit smoking two months ago. The weekends arent so bad when I am with my girlfriend but at work I cant stop. After reading this I am going to really try and quit. I hadnt noticed the farting though. Now that I look back I guess I have been a lot more gassy. All this gum cant be good for you.

18. maria - August 28, 2007 at 10:27 am -

It is an addiction. When you catch yourself jonesing for gum and rummaging your bags, pockets for any piece of gum after days of working hard at being without, ya just know. It is all of the above
    compulsive, anxiety reducing, oral fixation/need, addiction,
    but a HUGE HUGE part of this is aspartame/artificial sweeteners. And for what its worth, for people with eating disorders like me it leads to bingeing. In my experience, within 12 hours–massive carbohydrate cravings.
    People have been asking for advice on quitting. I am doing cold turkey. A little just makes you want more. I have lasted about a week at a time and then fallen down. So far. I find it similar to caffeine addiction. Seems innocuous but just try to kick it.

19. Jeff - September 25, 2007 at 10:38 pm -

I feel your pain! I too have the addiction. My poison is the orbit white winter mint gum. I got hooked when my boyfriend gave me a piece one day. i accepted it to be nice, I never really liked the stuff too much before. I popped that first piece into my mouth and it was like an explosion of wonderful flavor! The next day after dinner my boy friend offered me another piece I gratefully accepted. Boy was I happy I had another hit of this good stuff! Eventually I went out and bought my my own packs… it wasn’t long until I was buying in bulk. I started buying all the packs they had in the convenience stores. In only about a month’s time I went from never touching the stuff to chewing a few packs a day! I was spending at least $5 or more a day on gum… I just could not get enough of that good stuff! Now, six months later the gum has ruined me… Ive gained nearly ten pounds and feel horrible. My stomach hurts all the time and I just have no ambition anymore. My life has spiraled out of control to a crazily dark and lonely place since I started the habit. This isn’t something to be taken lightly… I cant stop… the gum has taken hold of me and wont let me go. If I try to kick the habit I just feel worse… please help me… I need to rid myself of this evil monkey on my back… I hope that I can stop the gum before my life really is ruined by it for good…

🙁

20. Leslie - October 3, 2007 at 8:50 pm -

For me this is a good news/ bad news thing…. It’s great & helpful for me to know I’m not alone with this problem, that you guys feel my pain- I swear none of my friends take me seriously about it, but it is a PRISON I cannot escape! – but on the other hand, in all of the postings thus far, I’m not finding any stories of how to quit successfully. Only laments from my fellow addicts asking for advice. Is this truly an addiction I’m going to suffer for life? Now I’m stuck on the Stride brand – I’m buying all the different flavors in bulk and chain-chew a different flavor one after the next after the next – one out, next one in- like the brain is searching for flavor novelty… well all the tasty flavors they have now make my habit worse. Trident watermelon twist, Orbit mint mojito, Stride’s forever fruit – to name but a few of my vast collection. It’s killing me man, for real. So the question: is there a way out??? WHO HAS DONE IT? Is there any hope for us???! Methadone?? Seriously.

21. Lola Mariee - October 15, 2007 at 4:43 pm -

wowee! gum is bombies ! i go through like 7 packs a day sriously. no lie. i love gum and i can’t stop to chew it. my favorite flavor is winterfresh. i’m like addicted to it. and sometimes ill wonder if im eating too much :/ btu i love to wrap it around my fingers and pop it with my mouth. haha ! and fellas give me a call the cellie number is 909-675-2130

22. Diana - October 21, 2007 at 8:03 am -

I have an addition as well. I cannot escape and have tried many times. My problem stems from the fact that I like to be moving around. I starting chewing gum when I had to sit through long classes and could not talk or I had to concentrate on my studying. Gum helps calm me down so that I can concentrate. If I am up moving, exercising, or just talking, I don’t need gum but need it to keep me still. I chew at least 2 packs a day if not more – mainly in the morning.

I love experiencing new flavors. I even went so far to buy chocolate gum but ORBIT will always be my baby. I love orbit – the texture, flavor, and long lasting flavor is the greatest thing on earth. I just wish I could stop chewing more than one piece at a time.

Sometimes, gum makes my blood sugar go out of control even though I only chew sugar free. It spikes me insulin and makes me crave food. I need to get off this addiction. Plus, the gum makes me majorly bloated – BUT I STILL CONTINUE TO CHEW IT! I have more things to worry about than my addiction to gum but I do wish I could stop. I just hope they never put a tax on gum like cigarrettes – then I would really have to stop. lol

23. Gina - October 31, 2007 at 10:59 am -

OMG, I feel like I am finally at home. I have a horrible addiction to gum chewing. I average 3 packs a day, much to my husband’s chagrin. While I chastise him for his smoking habit, I feel like a hippocrite. I can’t seem to control myself. For a while I was hooked on Jolt gum!!! Not only did I manage to hook myself even more on gum, but on caffeine as well!!! I managed to kick that one, but am stuck on Orbit again. Any kind, I am not picky. I just have to have it. My co-worker laughed at me when I told her about this website. But this is a real addiction with real side effects….There has to be a way to stop this crazy cycle. Though I am calmed by knowing there are more of you out there….

24. eve - November 18, 2007 at 10:48 am -

I am a chewing gum addict as well..
    Everybody says the same things but actually…they are so accurate and exactly what I’d like to say too..
    I chew 1-2 packs of vivident xylit extra white..
    I cannot stop..
    It might have side affects that we are NOT aware of,and this is scary..
    It is awfull that I chew 3 or 4 pieces per time..really really weird..
    If someone has valid answers that can give a solution to the problem please write it down..thank you 🙂

25. Karma Elcome - November 23, 2007 at 4:50 am -

This is incredible! I am an addict. I reside in South Africa, however, I am familiar with these brands of gum. Nonetheless, I stear as far away from the sugar as possible owing to the phenylalanine etc. That stuff just cause nothing but gastric reflux and ulcers. I started chewing gum in August last year. It was a mere two packs a day to keep me concentrating whilst studying. Eventually, I ended up buying more. Way way more!!!! I am addicted to a sugar based gum. Beechies musk flavours. These packs hold 12 chiclets each and I now climb my way through 20 of these packets a day. I cannot stop, I have gone a week at most since then without chewing but it results in a violent binge on whatever gum I can get my hands on, followed by a nasty binge on what ever I can get my hands on in the fridge. It is a prison, but at the same time a comfort. I’ve tried working out the reason behind the reason and so forth but it seems futile. In the beginning, chewing gum seemed like a great meal replacement, however, it’s now the only meal I seem to have, if even a meal!?!?! It was a means to control my appetite, but now, I’ve lost control of the meal replacement itself. I’ll eat though, but I’ll binge viciously more often than not. I have now adopted a very physical way of life. I gym twice a day, play tennis and squash and keep very active throughout the day and usually the night. What has happened now is this, I will exhaust myself and by 10PM I am ready to sleep, but no, off to the petrol station I go, and there opens the wallet to pay for the haords of chewing gum on the counter. The gum will ocassionally fill the void of emptiness but there are times where it doesn’t. Who knows. One minute up and the other down. With my training, I do my best to eat properly, but it only makes me more frustrated seeing I cannot chew the same quantities of gum and eat normal meals at the same time, especially if the gum I chew is loaded with glucose suryp. There are many factors behind my addiction and i no longer no what came when and why. I do my best to maintain a balance, but it seems impossible. Perhaps I’m asking for help, but I do know I am the only one who has the power to kick this. Advise may help, but it is my responsibilty to find an answer to this In and amongst all this, however, I have never noticed weight gain as a consequence, but my teeth have to see more and more of the dentist for a regular inspection and cleaning now. Once decay began, there was no stopping it. These days though, I try my best to keep myself extremely busy so as not to chew during the day, and seeing I cannot stop myself from chewing, I reward myself with a little gum at the end of the day. i can’t beat this, but i am doing my utmost to live with it as best I can. Perhaps my fellow addicts can find refuge in some of my solutions as to coping with the addiction. See, if you say to yourself, “no, you can’t have it”, you’re sure to fall. So, perhaps a little restriction is far less detrimental than full on prohibtion.

26. Debby - November 26, 2007 at 12:29 pm -

Well, I’m an addict too. I was fine with Extra gum for 15 years and then started to have serious digestive issues. Turns out the aspartame in Extra was the culprit. My doctor said to stop with aspartame and all my issues went away. The problem then was that almost all sugarless gum has aspartame. The only gum that does not seems to be: Dentyne Fire and Trident White. For those of you with digestive problems, try switching to one of these gums for a while and see if your issues don’t go away. I’ve written to most of the gum manufacturers and requested more choices that aspartame-free, but my requests go no where. The replacement sugar alcohols are probably more addictive than aspartame and the reason I chew 2 packs a day.

27. D-Effect - November 28, 2007 at 5:19 pm -

i am EXACLTY like you people!i am from greece(not american sorry for my english) i am really thin and alwats try to not gain weight and be in shape but i cant stop chewing gums!i love them!
    first it was just 10 pieces a day.my limit was 10.i was telling myself”no more than 10 man…thats enough!”
    but now i am chewing like 2-3 packs a day and one pack here has like 15 pieces!i chew about 30 plus pieces a day and i cant stop!
    my favorites are dentyne cinnamon fire and vivident fruit blast.

btw dont worry about the weight!if you chew sugarless gum you are not going to get ANY weight!

28. driveothersnutschewingum - December 12, 2007 at 3:34 pm -

Hi everyone,
    I can’t believe either that you guys are all real! I’m from Turkey and we too have those great Trident fusions here, and the worst is that they’ve packs of 50 here! I force myself to get packs of ten, cuz it’s all too dangerous to have a pack of 50 with me. I shouldn’t be anywhere near them. When there’re other ppl, they go nuts cuz of my chewin, so that kinda stops me. But the moment I’m left alone, yeah, back to my beloved gums… I’ve been chewing for almost 3 yrs now, and some think of me as nuts, I know. But now I chew only when I’m alone to keep those taken aback looks off of me. I’m really thin too but have a history of great loss and w/o chewing gum I’m afraid I’ll resort to eating and no I don’t wanna gain weight! So I just live with this addiction, don’t know where I’ve headed towards though… We’ll see… Great to know you’re all there 🙂

29. Stephanie - January 1, 2008 at 10:15 pm -

Nice to find someone as crazy as me with the whole chewing gum problem.. haha

I’m addicted to Orbit, like you wouldn’t believe. Only the winterming though.. I hate settling for other gum brands..haha. Sometimes I feel like a smoker.. How a smoker will always settle for a different cigg even though they don’t really like it..

If i don’t have any gum, I go nuts.. like an addict..
    and i’ll get up right then and make a trip to the store no matter what time.. haha.

30. Alison - January 6, 2008 at 3:37 pm -

I can’t believe I found this post! We need to start a website – chewers anonymous or something. I honestly thought I was the only one.

My addiction is pretty severe. I get massive cravings for sugar gum, especially Dubble Bubble (you know, the bright pink stuff you used to get on Halloween as a kid). I go through a one-pound bag in a matter of days. It’s awful for my teeth, and the sugar is probably making me gain weight. I’ve been chewing compulsively for 5-6 years, but it’s definitely gotten worse recently.

Today has been my first day without gum in years, which is why I went searching for sites on gum addiction. I’m sweating right now, people.

31. Patricia - January 6, 2008 at 6:00 pm -

I’m went on line last week for the first time (New Years Resolution!!) to find out what is wrong with me….and is it just me??? I too am addicted to gum. Not just any gum….DUBBLE BUBBLE. I go to Sam’s Club and purchase the 350 piece pail and start chain chewing until it is gone. (Usually 2 days.) I eat it like a box of popcorn – just takes a few seconds longer cuz I have to unwrap each piece. Then when that is gone, I vow to quit, then I unknowingly drive to Wal-Mart to buy 2 bags of DOUBLE BUBBLE, which lasts me 1 day, only buying 2 because I will be quitting tommorrow 🙂

I started out about 8 years ago with Big Red as my gum of choice – knowing the price of my Wriggles BR at every store in town and who was cheapest was my high. No lie, if a store was out of Big Red, I would drive to the next store and get it. They could have been giving away any other brand or flavor and I would have passed it by – not to stop chewing….just would keep going until I found my BR… nothing else would do!
    Then I Graduated to D.B. Not good. I am possitive that I am addicted to the sugar and just can not stop. (Believe me, I have tried the sugarless version of both and it always makes me sick because I chew so much at first, and realize that I am missing the sugar!)
    My dentist loves me, I have gained a ton of weight, I have no energy after the initial sugar buzz….what kind of help is there for us???

32. Jen - January 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm -

I have a terrible addiction to double bubble gum. I go to Costco and buy the 3 1b. size bags and can go through a bag in few days. I run 55+ miles a week but now am starting to gain weight in my mid-section. Has anyone else had that problem? I am having such a hard time giving it up. Any suggestions out there? Anyone else who is a runner have weight gain due to gum as well?

Helpless in Seattle.

33. Demi - January 10, 2008 at 7:34 pm -

I am only 15 years old and I am addicted to chewig gum…
    I start chewing gum at the age of 12 and it starting on halloween.
    I was going trick or treating with my cousins and we stop by this house..the lady gave my cousins chocalates but she gave me a pack of gums…I was so disappionted that time because I wanted a chocalate too…so when my bag was full of candys,I ate all of them as the days go by.Exapt that pack of Gum.so I grab a pieace and chew…later on and the next day,I felt really different that time…I became loseing wight when I kept on chewing gum..then when I had no more gum…I went out of control totally…I just freak out and just kept telling my mom to buy me some gum.she actully got really mad at me.I try to stop but I couldn’t..I just love the taste of the gum & the smell and mostly the chewing…I became more a addictive and try to get money.I just do not know how to stop.once I chew,I felt like I’m in heaven or somewhere peacful.

34. mari - January 10, 2008 at 10:00 pm -

I love to chew gum, I didn’t know that so many like I were addicted to it. It has been my secret addiction since I was a kid and I am in my 50’s now. I have been clean now for about 10 years but give me a pack of gum and I chew it all at once and then start looking around for more. Every once in a while I will buy a large pack and chew it all in a very short time. I have to have about 5 pieces in my mouth at once. My kids think I am crazy and use to always have to hide their gum from me. I always thought it was weird that people could buy gum and just keep it in their purse to chew leisurely, who can do that and what is wrong with them. I once drove across country the same way I chew gum… once I started I couldn’t stop I drove from Maine to Los Angeles in 3 days with 3 cats in the car and towing everything I owned and did I chew and drive up a storm!!! Gee, I am going to go to the closest 7-11 and buy some gum now that I know I am not alone I love you all for chewing gum, I love tooty fruity then big red but I will chew anything and all of it at once…HA HA…

35. joy - January 10, 2008 at 11:12 pm -

This is really unbelievable!! I am so totally addicted to Spearmint Dentyne Ice …it’s absolutely ridiculous. I go to target and buy 4 to 5 3 packs, I go to Costco and buy the 12 packs too. I try to limit myself to 4 packs a day, but it is really hard. I’ve even got paper cuts from the aluminum foil that you have to break to get to the gum. I will not chew any other brand or flavor. Also… I swallow it it a lot and have the worst gas ever. I have got to stop..

36. jenna7 - February 24, 2008 at 12:07 am -

I chew about 50 pieces of winterfresh every day, since quitting smoking 2 years ago. I have craters and holes in my teeth and my dentist suspects me of being bulemic (which I am not). My teeth are in need of repair- holes, cavities, etc. Has anyone else experienced this from severe gum chewing habit?

thx!

37. Barry - March 18, 2008 at 4:29 am -

38. Barry - March 18, 2008 at 4:40 am -

A girl I work with has admitted to chewing 5 packs a day, yes 5 packs! And yet she is in denial to being an addict. Does anyone else know anyone that will not face the fact that they have a problem? She also swallows!

39. sandy - March 23, 2008 at 2:37 am -

Gum addictions

40. Monica C. - April 22, 2008 at 4:05 pm -

Incredible!! Look at all of these people with the same addiction that I have. I snickered when I Googled “addiction to bubble gum”, because I thought, “How ridiculous am I?” But, here you all are, and it is so true – this is a real addiction. I am trying to eat clean and also kick my obsessive gum chewing/snacking habit. I am thin, but my teeth have truly paid the price – I have had two dental implants, and am probably on my way to a 3rd. The dentists think it’s bad genes, but I try to tell them about my addiction. I don’t even think they can comprehend how bad it is.

Right now I am going through major withdrawals since I don’t have any gum. I work long hours, and bubble gum is what gets me through. It is diefintely a replacement for the cigarettes I quit @ 7 years ago. My preference is sugary gum – I buy the bulk box of sugary chiclets (like the kind that come out of the gumball machine) and find myself scooping handfuls into a plastic bag to take to work every day! That is CRAZY!

I think sugarless gum is just sooo toxic for a person like myself, so I try to stay away from it. All of those artificial sweeteners have to be cancer-causing when not consumed in moderation!

Think I’ll try to have a cup of green tea. Sigh!

41. Kat - April 24, 2008 at 10:57 am -

Wow, this is insane. I had no idea that anyone else out there had the same habit as me! I chew gum constantly! I used to do it to prevent eating too much. I also found that I could drink water faster if I had gum in my mouth. For me, the flavor changes but right now it is Trident Minty Sweet Twist (2 pieces at a time). I only chew sugarless. I recently have been told by my dentist that it looks like I grind my teeth. I was too embarrassed to ask if it could be because of constant gum chewing. Because I really do not think that I grind my teeth. I also have 2 cracked fillings and 2 cracked molars. I was wondering if chewing so much gum (even sugarless) could cause these problems. But, again I did not tell my dentist. I know some sugarless gum is supposed to be good. But, I just worry that chewing constantly may mess up my teeth.

42. Rosita - April 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm -

I thought I was crazy with the gum addiction! Im so happy there are other people like me. I love gum. I love gum so much!

My favorite thing to do when I am in a different city is to look for all of the flavors of gum we don’t have here! I got about 40 different kinds last summer, and chewed them all! I get so excited for a new flavor to come out!

I even wrote to Trident to tell them how much I loved their Cherry gum and was so upset when I couldn’t find it anymore. I wish I could find a case of it!

43. jen - April 30, 2008 at 1:30 pm -

i too have the gum issue, orbit double mint. it gives me the worst gas ever! i stopped cold turkey 2 days ago, i keep a food journal and just starting tracking my gum and it has helped me stop.

44. Sarah QP - April 30, 2008 at 4:42 pm -

If you have to give Orbit sweetmint up for lent like I did, talk to your family and friends for moral support, and make your boyfriend hide his gum so there would be no temptation, you know you have a problem!! There should actually be a gum eaters anonymous for help. I received communion on Easter and popped my first piece of Orbit immediately after while still in church, followed by my second a couple minutes later. I’ve tried switching brands but it just doesn’t cut it. I think about giving it up all the time, and even are looking into organic gum to try and find one that doesn’t have aspartame. HELP!!!

45. Pat - May 15, 2008 at 8:13 am -

I am one of the Bubble Gum addicts!!! I go to the Dollar Store and buy the big bags of Super Bubble Bubble gum and chew about 4-5 bags a day. I swallow!! The gun has a pleasant taste to me, like candy. I know it is crazy, but I am happy I am not the only one in this. I keep saying I will stop, but I find myself going to the store on my way home. I get a sense of euphoria from chewing and swalllowing it. Then, I take laxatives to make it leave my body. Help!!!

46. Pat - May 15, 2008 at 8:26 am -

I am a Super Bubble addict!! I buy 4 – 5 bags on my way home from work each day and chew and swallow at least 2-3 before bed time. I find myself getting up in the night if I know I have some left and get some to chew in bed. I keep saying I will stop, but I just can’t!!! I take laxatives then to get the gum to work it’s way out of my body…Can someone help please??? Can we get a support group going. I think I’ll probably lose 15-20 pounds if I can stop the chewing and swallowing. I know it’s a problem because I do gum most nights instead of FOOD. Help!!!

47. chewey - May 23, 2008 at 11:34 pm -

ugh, I quit for 3 months and last night had abad slip..lasted all night and thru today…double bubble of course…and it’s so miserably stale…the flavor lasts a few seconds at best…I even drove in the rain to find a different lot number but sadly it was the same number and equally stale…but I’m chewing it like a mad nut!
    and I got fat on it the last bout and still had not lost all of the weight yet…and now, this 24 hour bnge..I’m afraid I won’t be able to stop tomorrow…pray for me! LOL! By the way, I found out that double bubble was the gum that was rationed during the war, and soldiers had it and would give some to the kids…I have often wondered if there’s some sort of addictive secret ingredient that makes us all so hooked on this flavor of gum…there is no other that compares. Bazooka was good years ago but not for a long time now. Plus, the pieces have shrunk to next to nothing anf the consistency has been altered…anyhow, best of luck to all of you addicts..it’s not an easy habit to quit, that’s an understatement..I write this as I chew.

48. Mely - July 12, 2008 at 2:00 pm -

I spend 20$ on chewing gum every week. I need to chew all the time. I feel a little bit better that I’m not the only one… since I could live on diet coke and chewing gum. Except that I don’t have any teeth problems now even if it has been 4 years. But I could, since I’m bulimic too. Yay me. Obsessive-compulsive behavior… All or nothing…

49. Jessica - July 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm -

Wow, this is crazy. I felt so alone in my addiction till I found this website. I too chew lg amounts of gum, Glee Gum, its all natural gum flavored with rice syrup. Its has less calories then the usual but still has like 2 cal per pc. I chew like handfuls at a time cuz the pc’s are so sm. I am trying to give it up because I have TMJ and suffer from acid reflux, dizzy spells, and seems like low blood sugar??? I feel like shit all the time and I think its from the gum habit. Has anyone else had bad symptoms from the sugar in gum and constant chewing? Ever thought of getting a tongue ring to help w the oral fixation? My friend has one and says it helps with the need to have something in your mouth, other then food or candy. Sounds crazy but I just might try it. At least I wont have any health problems from a tongue ring. Plus I think I have gained some weight in my lower belly from all the sugar!!! Gum was suppose to help me loose weight not gain! I need to stop, or at least only chew a little bit once a day. Help??

50. zippy - August 13, 2008 at 1:51 pm -

I too am a victim of too much gum chewing. I chew 3-4 packs a day at work. The vending machine maintanance man calls me Jawbone because my jaw is getting bigger and bigger from too much chewing. I tried to quit but my co-worker keeps handing me a bag of fritos everyday. My breath stinks so bad from the treat that I imediately have to chew a piece of delicious IceBreakers. Please help me! If I can’t chew gum I can’t live!