I Have A Chewing Gum Problem

Someone not-so-famous once told me, “If you’re not addicted to drugs or alcohol or gambling or sex or washing your hands a thousand times a day or switching the lightswitches on and off and on and off or killing people or making your kids watch those freaky-looking Teletubbies or doing anything resembling a criminal act — anything you do is probably pretty much okay.”

They obviously never met anyone like me, who has a chewing gum problem.

No matter what I do, I cannot convince myself that one piece of gum is enough. The “chewing gum enough-factor” which I have dubbed it for lack of a better one and because I recently axed “the factor that involves chewing gum not being enough just so you know” and C.G.F for short — it keeps my inner-instinct from being satisfied with just one piece, and here is why:

1. Size. Any piece of chewing gum, even the Orbit brand which is longer than previously shrimpy versions of Trident and such, is still not enough. If I can’t fill up the pouch under my lower lip or the area above my teeth against my gums, it is not enough. If a piece of gum, after losing its flavor, seems as small as a piece of food remnant left in my mouth from an earlier meal – it is just not going to work for me.

2. Flavor. One piece of gum has an exponentially low flavor threshhold. One piece of gum’s flavor lasts about as long as it took me to type this sentence.

3. Chew. One piece of gum will not give my chewing muscles the workout they need. Have you ever chewed a whole pack of gum at once for 30 minutes straight, stopped chewing, and then felt the side of your cheeks (the muscles) bulging? That’s a true workout. You’re basically burning off the calories of the piece of gum by giving those muscles a well-needed workout. But with a piece of gum, you might as well be lifting a 5 lb. weight with your tongue, because it’s girly-man stuff.

4. Sarcasm. While chewing one piece of gum, dialogue like “yeah, whatever”, “sure, dude” and “you wish” do not come across as sarcastic. That is because your piece of gum is so small, no one will ever know that you are chewing while talking to them, which is supposed to communicate that you could care less about them. Five pieces in a massive chewy ball in the side of your cheek, while you say the above statements, well — that works. One piece? You’re selling yourself short.

5. Intelligence. If someone asks you a question while chewing ONE piece of gum, while in mid-chew, it takes very little to stop chewing, move the gum to inside your cheek, and answer. But what if you’re chewing a whole big ball of the stuff? And THEN someone asks you a question? It will take you a good 30 seconds to get your mouth free of gum (whilest moving it to the side) to answer the question vocally. This will make you appear smarter. Why? Because you’re taking 30 seconds to think of the answer. If you are chewing one piece of gum and you answer quickly, whether you’re right or wrong — the asker will think you are wrong.

Like I said, I have a chewing gum problem.

I can go through a pack of gum (and not a 5 piece pack but a 14-pack Orbit extended-length pack) in about 20 minutes by chewing at least 2-3 pieces at a time. Sometimes, when I’m going on a very long drive I may actually pack about 6-7 in my mouth for an extra burst of flavorful-excitement. The more gum I can pack in and chew with skill — the more confident I am in myself, my chewing skillz and my bulging cheek-muscles’ ability to handle the job.

Sure, some people have called it a compulsion. But a compulsion is only a compulsion when very few people share the same compulsion. This world is a world where people are obsessed with chewing gum. They eat it all day long. They eat in inbetween meals. They eat it on the phone, in the car, at the gym, while laying in bed, in school, at depositions and while they’re having sex.

Chewing gum is not just my problem. It is everyone’s problem.

So, find me a person who chews one piece of gum at a time and I’ll give you someone who is cut-off, isolated, considered to be a flat-cheek muscled fast-answerer who is often answering questions they don’t know the answers to and looked down upon because of it.

For the reality is this — what some people may consider a problem…may in fact be, a blessing.

84 comments on “I Have A Chewing Gum Problem

1. Mike - April 18, 2007 at 7:38 pm -

I’ve been chewing about 2 1/2 packs of Orbit a day for some two months now, and I’ve actually lost weight.

Although sometimes I have trouble urinating. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Chewey - April 23, 2007 at 7:43 pm -

Hey Mike, Orbit is a sugar free gum and it can cause a laxitive effect if you chew too much of it. This is due to the sugar alcohols that are used as the top ingredients. I find Sorbitol to be the worst offender. As for water retention, I have also experienced that phenomenon from sugar free gum, as well as sugared gum. I think that any sugars, whether they are made from the real thing or from derivitives, can cause the body to retain fluid. It’s not your imagination. After I would chew a few packs of sugarfree gum I would notice water retention in my face, and in my fingers. Strange! I switched to regular gum after I began to have way too many negative effects from sugarfree stuff. The problem is, the difference in calories is quite significant. Bet of luck to you.

On a positive note, I now have 10 days of freedom from my chewing obsession. 20 more to go to break the habit!

Ms Chewey

3. Lynn - April 23, 2007 at 9:42 pm -

Comrades! I found this site when searching for ways to get off the gum. I quit a 23 year smoking habit about 4 1/2 years ago. Before that I never chewed gum. Hated to chew gum, which is strange because at the time I was over 100 lbs overweight, and had been for years. I must have liked chewing something – ha ha. Well, that and I drank buckets of regular soda a day. Ok, so I quit smoking, I just turned 40, I’m 265 lbs. Something’s gotta give, man. Joined a 12 step for food addiction. Lost 120 lbs in about 14 months. I was kicking ass and taking names. Somewhere along the line I picked up the gum. Hated chewing, but that flavor burst to an addict, oh yea baby. When you have to weigh and measure your food and report what your going to eat and not go 1/8 of an ounce over that to maintain sobriety, then some days that gum was my lover/enemy. Yeah I was up to 5 packs and the worst gas and stomache aches ever. I got on the diet soda as well. I was able to kick the habit for a month here, a week there, but nothing long term. I had a relapse about 1 1/2 years ago. Quickly put on 50 lbs. even while on the gum. It doesn’t stop the binges. Now the binges have somewhat subsided. I’ve been able to maintain one peice at a time most days, so I’m down to under 2 large packs a day. That was the hardest part. Still had some of the gas. And the addict in me just thinks, well, if you chew more gum it will push those big ole painful gas bubbles out faster. It’s a sickness, man! Screw suing McDonalds for getting fat, I say let’s get the Wrigleys and Tridents for the social isolation due to deadly farts and all the painful times I’ve chomped down on the gum only to bite my tongue.
    Fraud would say we never got out of our oral stage. I agree. At 44 if no gum is around, I’ll suck my thumb to avoid gaining more weight.

4. Chewey - April 25, 2007 at 9:29 am -

Welcome Ms Lynn, you are hilarious! You should write your own column or blog!
    Yeah, the oral fixation is crazy….It’s a known fact that gum chewing relieves anxiety. That is why they tell students to chew gum during exams. That sugarfree stuff really is gas producing and does make for smelly farts! LOL, I don’t know how a partner or loved one puts up with it..
    I am sad to report that after 12 days sober, last night I had a huge slip/binge. I hope to get back on track today. I don’t know what the trigger was, but I have an idea. If I eat a large salad for dinner and become sickingly full, I crave the gum afterwards…I guess it helps me digest and solves the sweet tooth after eating. Tonight I will try to cut back on the bowl of salad which will leave me room for an apple afterwards…
    Hope you can keep your consumption minimal..HAve you noticed that even Wrigleys sugared gum has Nutrasweet in the ingredients??? Yes, almost all gum does, as it is a flavor enhancer.
    Signing off now,
    Chewey.

5. Nick - April 26, 2007 at 6:31 pm -

lol, 3 years later – still so true. glad to know that im not the only one. i got through about 240 pieces every 3 days…trident with xylitol..mmm – i mix and match flavors…2 watermelon twist…2 tropical twist…1 cinnamon…omg awesome flavor!

6. Chewey - April 26, 2007 at 9:50 pm -

Nick, don’t you get the “farts” from that xylitol? LOL!!!!!

7. AF - May 2, 2007 at 7:43 am -

I can not seem to stay away from the new Trident Strawberry Fusion kind. This addiction/habit is getting ridiculous! So does anyone have any suggestions as far as quitting goes? Help!

8. Chewey - May 4, 2007 at 9:37 pm -

AF, well I have thought about being Hypnotized…it works for smokers…
    Part of me doesn’t want to give it up just yet….as I chew….

9. GiMen - May 18, 2007 at 6:54 pm -

OMG! I found you all…I am so addicted to gum. I have been chewing for 20 years, but the past 5 years since I quit smoking my chewing is out of control. Same stuff that all of you have said. I chew one piece after another after another until I’ve gone throught several BIG packs a day. My fav is Extra Winterfresh.

I hate my addiction and came here hoping to find some help to no avail. My digestive system is screwed up, my jaws hurt, my teeth are SO sensitive. The main reason I’ve decided to stop or to try to find help is because my neck muscles are starting to get really sore to the point that it hurts really bad all the time.

10. lauren - May 19, 2007 at 11:39 pm -

I thought I was alone, and then my husband got addicted….I swear there must be crack in this gum. I also chew orbit citrusmint, bubblemint, lemonmint…..I was hooked on trident tropical twist for a while too. I never thought there could be side effects to gum chewing!!! Great, one more thing I have to quit. I liked being crazy rather than “addicted”….damn it.

11. Sarah - May 20, 2007 at 7:49 pm -

So like all of you, I am addicted to chewing gum. I feel naked if I don’t have a pack of orbit/dentyne ice/trident in my purse. I know I can’t quit right now because it really helps my anxiety. What are everyone’s thoughts on the side effects of xylitol vs sorbitol etc?

I first started chewing gum to lose weight and have something sweet to eat instead of a dessert. But now I chew about 2 14-packs a day and it has become an annoying and expensive habit! It makes m e bloated and gasy and the side effects are not pleasant. Ah! I’m glad I’m not alone because my family thinks I’m crazy and I thought I was the only one with these issues.

12. Ellen Mullins - May 27, 2007 at 10:45 am -

I quit smoking 17 years ago. But ever since I can remember, I love gum! I chewed it growing up, through my smoking years, and even more now that I don’t smoke! I also like to put a piece of spearmint candy in my mouth with the gum! An extra boost of flavor! I believe it is all oral fixation, and basically it is better than over-eating! But it still is unneccessary calories through the day. So I will probablynever give up this habit

13. obsessed w/ gum - July 20, 2007 at 6:33 pm -

i am so addicted to gum. i find myself chewing at most 6 packs a day(about 72 pieces) i find all the spare cash i have, run to walgreens and buy several three packs (preferably eclipse winterfrost) i need help. i can’t stop. it is a major problem. i recently read that an average american chews about 1.8 pounds of gum annually but as you can tell i am not average. how do i stop. please help. i am most worried about the costs of my addiction and medical side affects that i might not be aware of.

14. AF - July 23, 2007 at 6:24 am -

So how do we go about quitting? Should we try a weaning approach or just cold turkey? Thank goodness I never started smoking, I can’t even seem to shake this habit! I’m sure some would say that if gum is our biggest vice we are doing okay, but there are minor side effects (as some of you have shared) and I don’t think it’s good to be addicted to anything! Any help is appreciated! And Chewey- I probably won’t take your advice on getting hypnotized, but thanks for your efforts.

15. Whitney - August 13, 2007 at 12:44 am -

What is this really? Why are we kind of unfortunate? I have been chewing peppermint gum, and only peppermint gum constantly for three years straight. Yesterday was my first day in three years without chewing a single peice and I thought I was going to die. I have this nervous habbit of chewing gum, and I am the most nervous person you will ever meet. Do you know what that results in? YES, chewing gum constantly

16. maria - August 28, 2007 at 10:27 am -

It is an addiction. When you catch yourself jonesing for gum and rummaging your bags, pockets for any piece of gum after days of working hard at being without, ya just know. It is all of the above
    compulsive, anxiety reducing, oral fixation/need, addiction,
    but a HUGE HUGE part of this is aspartame/artificial sweeteners. And for what its worth, for people with eating disorders like me it leads to bingeing. In my experience, within 12 hours–massive carbohydrate cravings.
    People have been asking for advice on quitting. I am doing cold turkey. A little just makes you want more. I have lasted about a week at a time and then fallen down. So far. I find it similar to caffeine addiction. Seems innocuous but just try to kick it.

17. Jeff - September 25, 2007 at 10:38 pm -

I feel your pain! I too have the addiction. My poison is the orbit white winter mint gum. I got hooked when my boyfriend gave me a piece one day. i accepted it to be nice, I never really liked the stuff too much before. I popped that first piece into my mouth and it was like an explosion of wonderful flavor! The next day after dinner my boy friend offered me another piece I gratefully accepted. Boy was I happy I had another hit of this good stuff! Eventually I went out and bought my my own packs… it wasn’t long until I was buying in bulk. I started buying all the packs they had in the convenience stores. In only about a month’s time I went from never touching the stuff to chewing a few packs a day! I was spending at least $5 or more a day on gum… I just could not get enough of that good stuff! Now, six months later the gum has ruined me… Ive gained nearly ten pounds and feel horrible. My stomach hurts all the time and I just have no ambition anymore. My life has spiraled out of control to a crazily dark and lonely place since I started the habit. This isn’t something to be taken lightly… I cant stop… the gum has taken hold of me and wont let me go. If I try to kick the habit I just feel worse… please help me… I need to rid myself of this evil monkey on my back… I hope that I can stop the gum before my life really is ruined by it for good…

:-(

18. Leslie - October 3, 2007 at 8:50 pm -

For me this is a good news/ bad news thing…. It’s great & helpful for me to know I’m not alone with this problem, that you guys feel my pain- I swear none of my friends take me seriously about it, but it is a PRISON I cannot escape! – but on the other hand, in all of the postings thus far, I’m not finding any stories of how to quit successfully. Only laments from my fellow addicts asking for advice. Is this truly an addiction I’m going to suffer for life? Now I’m stuck on the Stride brand – I’m buying all the different flavors in bulk and chain-chew a different flavor one after the next after the next – one out, next one in- like the brain is searching for flavor novelty… well all the tasty flavors they have now make my habit worse. Trident watermelon twist, Orbit mint mojito, Stride’s forever fruit – to name but a few of my vast collection. It’s killing me man, for real. So the question: is there a way out??? WHO HAS DONE IT? Is there any hope for us???! Methadone?? Seriously.

19. Gina - October 31, 2007 at 10:59 am -

OMG, I feel like I am finally at home. I have a horrible addiction to gum chewing. I average 3 packs a day, much to my husband’s chagrin. While I chastise him for his smoking habit, I feel like a hippocrite. I can’t seem to control myself. For a while I was hooked on Jolt gum!!! Not only did I manage to hook myself even more on gum, but on caffeine as well!!! I managed to kick that one, but am stuck on Orbit again. Any kind, I am not picky. I just have to have it. My co-worker laughed at me when I told her about this website. But this is a real addiction with real side effects….There has to be a way to stop this crazy cycle. Though I am calmed by knowing there are more of you out there….

20. Karma Elcome - November 23, 2007 at 4:50 am -

This is incredible! I am an addict. I reside in South Africa, however, I am familiar with these brands of gum. Nonetheless, I stear as far away from the sugar as possible owing to the phenylalanine etc. That stuff just cause nothing but gastric reflux and ulcers. I started chewing gum in August last year. It was a mere two packs a day to keep me concentrating whilst studying. Eventually, I ended up buying more. Way way more!!!! I am addicted to a sugar based gum. Beechies musk flavours. These packs hold 12 chiclets each and I now climb my way through 20 of these packets a day. I cannot stop, I have gone a week at most since then without chewing but it results in a violent binge on whatever gum I can get my hands on, followed by a nasty binge on what ever I can get my hands on in the fridge. It is a prison, but at the same time a comfort. I’ve tried working out the reason behind the reason and so forth but it seems futile. In the beginning, chewing gum seemed like a great meal replacement, however, it’s now the only meal I seem to have, if even a meal!?!?! It was a means to control my appetite, but now, I’ve lost control of the meal replacement itself. I’ll eat though, but I’ll binge viciously more often than not. I have now adopted a very physical way of life. I gym twice a day, play tennis and squash and keep very active throughout the day and usually the night. What has happened now is this, I will exhaust myself and by 10PM I am ready to sleep, but no, off to the petrol station I go, and there opens the wallet to pay for the haords of chewing gum on the counter. The gum will ocassionally fill the void of emptiness but there are times where it doesn’t. Who knows. One minute up and the other down. With my training, I do my best to eat properly, but it only makes me more frustrated seeing I cannot chew the same quantities of gum and eat normal meals at the same time, especially if the gum I chew is loaded with glucose suryp. There are many factors behind my addiction and i no longer no what came when and why. I do my best to maintain a balance, but it seems impossible. Perhaps I’m asking for help, but I do know I am the only one who has the power to kick this. Advise may help, but it is my responsibilty to find an answer to this In and amongst all this, however, I have never noticed weight gain as a consequence, but my teeth have to see more and more of the dentist for a regular inspection and cleaning now. Once decay began, there was no stopping it. These days though, I try my best to keep myself extremely busy so as not to chew during the day, and seeing I cannot stop myself from chewing, I reward myself with a little gum at the end of the day. i can’t beat this, but i am doing my utmost to live with it as best I can. Perhaps my fellow addicts can find refuge in some of my solutions as to coping with the addiction. See, if you say to yourself, “no, you can’t have it”, you’re sure to fall. So, perhaps a little restriction is far less detrimental than full on prohibtion.

21. D-Effect - November 28, 2007 at 5:19 pm -

i am EXACLTY like you people!i am from greece(not american sorry for my english) i am really thin and alwats try to not gain weight and be in shape but i cant stop chewing gums!i love them!
    first it was just 10 pieces a day.my limit was 10.i was telling myself”no more than 10 man…thats enough!”
    but now i am chewing like 2-3 packs a day and one pack here has like 15 pieces!i chew about 30 plus pieces a day and i cant stop!
    my favorites are dentyne cinnamon fire and vivident fruit blast.

btw dont worry about the weight!if you chew sugarless gum you are not going to get ANY weight!

22. Stephanie - January 1, 2008 at 10:15 pm -

Nice to find someone as crazy as me with the whole chewing gum problem.. haha

I’m addicted to Orbit, like you wouldn’t believe. Only the winterming though.. I hate settling for other gum brands..haha. Sometimes I feel like a smoker.. How a smoker will always settle for a different cigg even though they don’t really like it..

If i don’t have any gum, I go nuts.. like an addict..
    and i’ll get up right then and make a trip to the store no matter what time.. haha.

23. Alison - January 6, 2008 at 3:37 pm -

I can’t believe I found this post! We need to start a website – chewers anonymous or something. I honestly thought I was the only one.

My addiction is pretty severe. I get massive cravings for sugar gum, especially Dubble Bubble (you know, the bright pink stuff you used to get on Halloween as a kid). I go through a one-pound bag in a matter of days. It’s awful for my teeth, and the sugar is probably making me gain weight. I’ve been chewing compulsively for 5-6 years, but it’s definitely gotten worse recently.

Today has been my first day without gum in years, which is why I went searching for sites on gum addiction. I’m sweating right now, people.

24. Patricia - January 6, 2008 at 6:00 pm -

I’m went on line last week for the first time (New Years Resolution!!) to find out what is wrong with me….and is it just me??? I too am addicted to gum. Not just any gum….DUBBLE BUBBLE. I go to Sam’s Club and purchase the 350 piece pail and start chain chewing until it is gone. (Usually 2 days.) I eat it like a box of popcorn – just takes a few seconds longer cuz I have to unwrap each piece. Then when that is gone, I vow to quit, then I unknowingly drive to Wal-Mart to buy 2 bags of DOUBLE BUBBLE, which lasts me 1 day, only buying 2 because I will be quitting tommorrow :)

I started out about 8 years ago with Big Red as my gum of choice – knowing the price of my Wriggles BR at every store in town and who was cheapest was my high. No lie, if a store was out of Big Red, I would drive to the next store and get it. They could have been giving away any other brand or flavor and I would have passed it by – not to stop chewing….just would keep going until I found my BR… nothing else would do!
    Then I Graduated to D.B. Not good. I am possitive that I am addicted to the sugar and just can not stop. (Believe me, I have tried the sugarless version of both and it always makes me sick because I chew so much at first, and realize that I am missing the sugar!)
    My dentist loves me, I have gained a ton of weight, I have no energy after the initial sugar buzz….what kind of help is there for us???

25. Monica C. - April 22, 2008 at 4:05 pm -

Incredible!! Look at all of these people with the same addiction that I have. I snickered when I Googled “addiction to bubble gum”, because I thought, “How ridiculous am I?” But, here you all are, and it is so true – this is a real addiction. I am trying to eat clean and also kick my obsessive gum chewing/snacking habit. I am thin, but my teeth have truly paid the price – I have had two dental implants, and am probably on my way to a 3rd. The dentists think it’s bad genes, but I try to tell them about my addiction. I don’t even think they can comprehend how bad it is.

Right now I am going through major withdrawals since I don’t have any gum. I work long hours, and bubble gum is what gets me through. It is diefintely a replacement for the cigarettes I quit @ 7 years ago. My preference is sugary gum – I buy the bulk box of sugary chiclets (like the kind that come out of the gumball machine) and find myself scooping handfuls into a plastic bag to take to work every day! That is CRAZY!

I think sugarless gum is just sooo toxic for a person like myself, so I try to stay away from it. All of those artificial sweeteners have to be cancer-causing when not consumed in moderation!

Think I’ll try to have a cup of green tea. Sigh!

26. Kat - April 24, 2008 at 10:57 am -

Wow, this is insane. I had no idea that anyone else out there had the same habit as me! I chew gum constantly! I used to do it to prevent eating too much. I also found that I could drink water faster if I had gum in my mouth. For me, the flavor changes but right now it is Trident Minty Sweet Twist (2 pieces at a time). I only chew sugarless. I recently have been told by my dentist that it looks like I grind my teeth. I was too embarrassed to ask if it could be because of constant gum chewing. Because I really do not think that I grind my teeth. I also have 2 cracked fillings and 2 cracked molars. I was wondering if chewing so much gum (even sugarless) could cause these problems. But, again I did not tell my dentist. I know some sugarless gum is supposed to be good. But, I just worry that chewing constantly may mess up my teeth.

27. Rosita - April 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm -

I thought I was crazy with the gum addiction! Im so happy there are other people like me. I love gum. I love gum so much!

My favorite thing to do when I am in a different city is to look for all of the flavors of gum we don’t have here! I got about 40 different kinds last summer, and chewed them all! I get so excited for a new flavor to come out!

I even wrote to Trident to tell them how much I loved their Cherry gum and was so upset when I couldn’t find it anymore. I wish I could find a case of it!

28. Jessica - July 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm -

Wow, this is crazy. I felt so alone in my addiction till I found this website. I too chew lg amounts of gum, Glee Gum, its all natural gum flavored with rice syrup. Its has less calories then the usual but still has like 2 cal per pc. I chew like handfuls at a time cuz the pc’s are so sm. I am trying to give it up because I have TMJ and suffer from acid reflux, dizzy spells, and seems like low blood sugar??? I feel like shit all the time and I think its from the gum habit. Has anyone else had bad symptoms from the sugar in gum and constant chewing? Ever thought of getting a tongue ring to help w the oral fixation? My friend has one and says it helps with the need to have something in your mouth, other then food or candy. Sounds crazy but I just might try it. At least I wont have any health problems from a tongue ring. Plus I think I have gained some weight in my lower belly from all the sugar!!! Gum was suppose to help me loose weight not gain! I need to stop, or at least only chew a little bit once a day. Help??

29. Maya - January 8, 2010 at 7:30 am -

I am obsessed with gum I always think “No I will not have any more” but then I think “One more piece is ok” and within 2 days a 10 piece pack has gone, I have tried setting myself a limit but it doesn’t work. I also have this weird habit of having to know how many pieces i have left and counting them after each day. I get really bloated which is horrible… Even after only about 5 pieces a day.

30. Doublemint - May 3, 2010 at 11:43 am -

Hey Guys… me too. I think it started in high school… I remember sitting down to do my homework with a pack of gum. Somehow it helps me focus. I’m not exactly sure how that works, but it does. I tend to get anxious when I’m studying or working on a project that’s a challenge… and that’s when I start snacking or chewing gum. I never thought of it as a problem, but lately wondered if the gastrointestinal issues I’ve had the past couple of years might be in part related… wondering where all the air from chewing goes… maybe it results in too much wind in the system… I’m thinking of this from the perspective of Chinese or Ayurvedic medicine… wind in the system is not a good thing… and I’m not talking about gas. If anyone knows more about this, please share. And yah, my teeth have had their share of dental work, although that started when I was a kid before the gum. Also wondering if that metal taste I sometimes get has to do with chewing gum and amalgam fillings… I read something about that this morning. As for the oral fixation and early development issues to grow through.. .yah, all that… have come a long way baby! I’ll tell you what though… sure is nice to connect with all of you and say how I honestly feel, rather than just struggling through… me and my pack a’ gum! Cheers to you all!

31. Christi - May 19, 2010 at 9:26 pm -

Wow! I thought I was the only one! Bubble Yum, Double Bubble, or Gum balls are my addiction! I can chew over 100 daily! I noticed any sugarfree gum upsets my stomach! Since this addiction I feel bloated, have gained about 15 lbs. I crave it so much! Wish I knew how to stop. Obviously, I am craving the sugar, but the taste of the bubble gum I’m constantly craving.

32. Neil - June 2, 2010 at 6:35 am -

I’m glad I found this website. I just started a gum habit a couple of weeks ago that seems a bit disproportionate. I picked up gum chewing when I was reducing my calorie intake to control my weight, plus kicking caffein. When I’ve chewed gum in the past, I’ve always needed several pieces in my mouth at once to get an orally satisfying wad with enough flavour in it. However, this past time I began chain-chewing all day long, going through anywhere from half a pack to four packs a day. My jaw, teeth and gums are starting to hurt.

I read somewhere that gum chewing seems to improve performance on certain memory-recall tasks. It also seems to reduce anxiety. Chewing, anxiety and memory are all things that have been associated with the hippocampus in the brain, and there is an addiction system that operates through hippocampus-involved systems – the benzodiazepine drugs work on this system – sedative hypnotics and anxiolytics like Valium that enhance the activity of GABA in the brain. These drugs are addictive.

I’ve especially noticed that if I have to walk somewhere and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the prospect, or I feel like procrastinating or staying put, popping some gum in my mouth and chewing it makes it a lot easier to overcome my inertia and make the trek. The hippocampus is also a primary system for navigation in space.

33. Cara - June 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm -

OMG!!! i seriously thought i was the only crazy person who had this gum addiction!! It started out being approx. 3-4 peices a day, to a pack, and then now it exceeds past 9 packs a day. :O i cant control it and cant stop for the life of me. I call it my drug of choice. ORBIT SWEET MINT my flavor. I even change my location of purchases throughout the week so i wont seem that much of FREAK. lol! When family and freinds ask for a peice its like asking a smoker for a cig. I just dont want to give one up. ha. NOT ONLY THAT BUT ITS SUCH AN EXSPENSIVE HABIT! its not even funny.

34. BrunsMyster - June 19, 2010 at 7:25 am -

Although this post is pretty old now…..I realise people are still reading it so here goes….

I am a 27 yr old female in the honeymoon stages of a new relationship (2 months now)……he is my reason for going cold turkey on my chewing gum addiction (more in post)! Averaging 25 pieces a day (Strawberry Trident, Mint, lemon & Lime Orbit, Spearmint and various Trident splash varieties, mmmmm…..mouth watering now) I have quit my oral fixation to 3 sticks per day due to the horrendous expulsion of stinky gas constantly coming out of me and my ever increasing bloated pregnant waistline.

Gum is fab. I am 7 stone and 5″3, it keeps me skinny but no longer can I tolerate the side effects! I cant live in what smells like a sulphuric chemistry experiment. It all came to a head the other night when I woke myself up with farts that, I swear, caused the bed to vibrate…..and YES……my new date was lying next to me! I believed I released 3 stinkers that night – I am lucky to still have my date a week later. Its not just at night, throughout the day also, sometimes leaving a small trail of stench behind me as I walk up the stairs to my office. I have been chewing since I quit smoking about 2 years now and believe my insides are messed up. I was exhibiting the signs of IBS so have recently decided to stop, not only for my relationship but also for the safety of others around me.

This cold turkey business is hard, I am certainly eating more, I am constantly tired but my intestines and arse are thanking me.
    Does anyone have any tips for replacing gum?

Good luck to all and God speed

x Fartalot x