Debating Charity

I am debating. Currently debating am I.

I was thinking the other day — man, you’d think I could take this whole blogging thing and use it for good. You know, sort of like blogging is my super-power like being able to look through walls or something, and being able to use such powers for, yeah — you get the point.

I thought to myself — what if I were to try and use blogging to raise money for a charity. What if the readers of WFME could help in that endeavor? What if, what if, what if? So here I am, in a sense, polling the readers of WFME to get your thoughts. Here’s what I am thinking:

1. I pick a charity to benefit. (I’m thinking of the Los Angeles Mission, which benefits the homeless and helps down-and-out people train for careers and get back on their own two feet. If you know of other charities that you have supported in the past, let me know.)

2. I announce that I will be blogging for this charity over the course of 24 hours. Over those twenty-four hours I will post a new entry (in the style you have all become accustomed to) every fifteen minutes. That means, in 24 hours, I will post 96 separate times.

3. I ask WFME readers to pledge a monetary amount for each post. That means, if you pledge $.05, if I post my goal of 96 posts, you have to pony up around 5 bucks. And so on.

4. I don’t sleep, I post like crazy, and when all is said and done, everyone’s pledges go to the charity that has been chosen ahead of time.

What do you think? Is it something people would be in support of? Is it a waste of time? Do we think we might be able to raise a decent amount to give to a charity? Let me know your thoughts. I am still in the “rumination-stage” but seriously considering trying to do something good like this.

9 comments on “Debating Charity

1. sarah - October 29, 2004 at 11:52 am -

it could work if you set up a webcam and go, oh i dont know, topless

2. em - October 29, 2004 at 12:02 pm -

i like it. but maybe you could up the $$ by pulling in other bloggers to blog away for 24 hours too, each with his/her set of sponsors? some sort of League of Like-Minded Bloggers. oh, and topless can’t hurt either.

3. Gennifer - October 29, 2004 at 12:59 pm -

I love that idea! Your so great *Dances* I like the topless idea too… hehe

4. Norrin Radd - October 29, 2004 at 2:38 pm -

Sounds cool! I sometimes wish I had the ability to think of others, but I am sadly cursed with “I’ll see you in Hell” syndrome. I would sponsor simply out of my own shame.

5. Pam - October 29, 2004 at 5:34 pm -

Once a year bloggers get together to raise money for various charities. Check out http://www.blogathon.org, and http://www.project-blog.org/. I participated during the 2002 blogathon, posting to my blog every 30 minutes for 24 hours straight. Over all we raised a ton of contributions. Good luck on your adventure! Don’t forget the coffee!

6. charm - October 29, 2004 at 5:38 pm -

I’d gladly donate to such a worthy cause. And the cam idea is a good one too! Although I would just say you wouldn’t have to be topless unless you wanted to. 🙂

7. Will - October 29, 2004 at 8:41 pm -

I’d love to fill in for you if you pass out during the course of this event (or if you just need a hand), as long as said event occurs on a weekend. I’m really busy during the week.

8. Lena - October 29, 2004 at 10:34 pm -

I’m in… I’ll gladly pony up some cash.

One small suggestion: maybe the charity could be more than just local? More of a national kind of thing? We WFME readers live all over the country!

Oh, and I say TOPLESS! I’m sure we readers will agree to read your posts topless if it would make you feel better about it all.

9. Kathleen - October 30, 2004 at 9:44 am -

I think this is a noble idea, Mr. Pauly.

Alongside donating to charity, I encourage people to sign up for a upromise.com account. Companies give you money back on purchases that you probably already make, then invest that in a 529 plan. And you can give that money to anyone who wants to attend college.

(The amounts from the account are usually minimal, but if you went to college, don’t you remember digging for change to get that burrito from Taco Bell at 2 in the morning?)

ummm hmmm.