The Benefactor Finale

Well, tonight is the night.

After (cough) a mere six weeks, The Benefactor will finally reveal how a network can take three episodes of a reality TV show and pack it into one. It will, obviously, do a disservice to the footage that was initially supposed to make it to TV screens across the country — but then again this is TV: and there’s no crying in TV. (Except on hour-long dramas with adultery.)

Originally, the last three episodes included the following (there are no spoilers here, FYI):

Episode 6: Down to three players, Mark visits each of their hometowns, staying with their families and getting to know more about them. At the end of this episode, Mark would get rid of one, leaving only two contestants.

Episode 7: Now down to the final 2, Mark asks the players to spend the million as if they’ve already won the money. He tells them that he also may hold them to one or two of their choices, and in the case they win, will force them to spend the money on those items so they must choose wisely. The Players go out and put together a presentation for Mark with how they’d spend the million. At the end of this episode (as revealed in last week’s “next on The Benefactor” coming attraction) the big twist is revealed. Mark will tell both players they have LOST THE GAME, to see how well they handle failure.

Episode 8: The two players, thinking they have lost, go through the typical “I’ve lost” moments after being kicked off a show — the interviews, the photo shoots, the unfortunate disappointment. But then, after being separated (both thinking they’ve lost) they return to the house for a show-reunion, thinking the other has actually won. Based on how gracious they handled losing, Mark announces who will win the million bucks.

I’ll tell you this — from being on the road throughout Episode 6, there is some great stuff in the hometowns. The spending of the million bucks (sort of) was definitely intriguing. And the final episode has some really great moments with the twist. Now, I could see combining two episodes into one, but three?

Nevertheless, be sure to check out the final episode. Any guesses on who it’s gonna be? Femia, Linda or Dominic? I know the answer but I’m not telling.

11 comments on “The Benefactor Finale

1. monkeyinabox - October 25, 2004 at 8:51 am -

Anyone but Linda! Please!

2. Pauly D - October 25, 2004 at 8:58 am -

I’ll have you know that Linda is a pretty cool chick. Really. Seriously. She’s competitive, sure! But she’s cool.

Hell, she’s a FOOTBALL player!!

3. steve - October 25, 2004 at 9:10 am -

ABC seems to have a hair trigger on Reality Shows.

The Mole
    The Family
    The Benefactor

Cheers,
    Steve

p.s. Wasn’t Dominic out? I thought that they played Jenga… granted I didn’t see the whole episode (Tivo/Football/Local news cut it off).

4. Kat - October 25, 2004 at 10:19 am -

I dunno – how about Femia?
    that’s mine

5. Kat - October 25, 2004 at 10:37 am -

after reading comments, I actually liked Linda too. she’s seems very no nonsense.

6. charm - October 25, 2004 at 12:59 pm -

I’m hoping it’s Linda. I like that she’s tough and competitive.

7. Brian Stucki - October 25, 2004 at 1:44 pm -

Dominic was cut, but Marc said that sometimes the deals that you don’t make are the ones that pay off, so Dominic went to Cancun while the others competed then he came back onto the show. that was sweet. And he seems like a cool guy.

The teasers at the end of the last episode make it seem like Linda gets cut because she lied about where she lived…but that show is too tricky to believe that will actually happen. Can’t wait.

8. Kristi - October 26, 2004 at 6:01 am -

Interesting outcome- I caught the end of the show and just missed Dominic’s “exit” interview- I wish I would have caught the whole thing to be able to compare the two.

9. charm - October 26, 2004 at 7:20 am -

I’m glad it turned out the way it did. Femia handled it all with grace. I would have loved to see where Femia and Dominic lived though.

10. steve - October 26, 2004 at 8:22 am -

I couldn’t help but think ‘poor Dominic.’ To lose the money twice must not have been much fun.

“You’re a loser.”
    “No you’re not.”
    “Yes you are.”

With that said, his 60 seconds were horrific. They were so bad that I would venture to say that Mark couldn’t give him the money if he wanted to.

Cheers,
    Steve

11. monkeyinabox - October 26, 2004 at 9:00 am -

Dude, like dude, you know we’re dudes and hey dude if we could be dudes, I mean friends forever, that would be dudely. Wha…I still have 20 seconds left…. DUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!