Gum Smack-Talking: The Interview

Earlier today you may have noticed a comment on an older WFME post called “Building a Better Piece of Gum”. The post in question wondered aloud about the size and taste coefficient of gum and the comment received was this:

“HELLO Dumbasses!

Trident and Orbitz and Wrigleys and tons of companys put artificial sweeteners in their gum.. These artificial sweeteners cause many symptoms…Aspartame causes 92 known symptoms and i’m sure the other artificial sweetners out there cause just as many. I’d advise you to get off those brands of gum..oh and BubbleTape. OK well I hope you guys are smart enough to get off it.”

We here at WFME were so fascinated with our newfound friend and her comments that we decided to interview her in depth about her thoughts on gum. Those thoughts, reprinted word for word, follow…

1. What is your name?

My name is Alicia and I have done research on gum. Unfortunately what I found wasn’t very pleasing. I realized that in many brands of gum contain artificial sweeteners!!

2. You seem to know a lot about gum – can you tell my readers where your knowledge comes from?

“I have researched many sites, but not specifically on gum. Instead I researched on Diet Coke and artificial sweeteners. I found out that the most common artificial sweeteners are Aspartame and Sucralose. These are only two out of many artificial sweeteners. These are in gums also. Aspartame is in Trident, Bubble Tape, Orbitz, Wrigleys and many other brands of gum. I used to love Wrigleys Big Red and Winterfresh till I realized I was addicted! I looked at the ingredients and saw aspartame. Many of my friends chew Trident gum, when I tried to tell them it contains aspartame they just shrugged and kept on chewing it.

Now I guess your wondering what is Aspartame? It is like I said, and artificial sweetener. Aspartame is a toxin. Yes, that‚s what I said, a toxin. It breaks down in your system into three types of toxins. Formaldehyde, Methanol, and Aspartic Acid are all broke down in your system. Aspartame breakdown products attack the body’s tissues and create Formaldehyde which builds up in your tissues forever and is what preserved those frogs you dissected in school. Methanol is and alcohol that makes you blind. Aspartic Acid is an “excitotoxin” in the brain and excites the neurons to death. It damages and kills the brain cells. Russell L. Blaylock, MD wrote a book called Excitoxins: The Taste that Kills. He goes over on what it does to the brain. Dr. H.J. Roberts created a few books on Aspartame as well one called Aspartame Nutrasweet is It Safe. Dr. H.J. Roberts has even talked to former President Bill Clinton about aspartame and Diet Coke before President Bill Clinton had to undergo quadruple bypass surgery to remove a blockage in his heart. It is uncertain that aspartame was the cause to this but I am sure it didn‚t help. Former President Bill Clinton was addicted to Diet Coke which contains aspartame.”

3. Do you have a gum that you would recommend to my readers? Something that is safe?

“The only gum that I have found that didn’t contain an artificial sweetener was at Office Depot where they have the candy in the check out lane. It was the Original Bazooka Bubblegum another bubblegum is the Original Dubble-Bubble.”

4. Do you believe that the corporations creating such harmful gum are doing it on purpose much like the tobacco companies?

It’s all about the money with companies. Aspartame is cheaper than sugar because it is artificial. Instead with pure sugar you have pay for it and have it shipped. It is still a wonder why the FDA approved the sweetener. The FDA has been approving things it shouldn‚t have approved. You can‚t trust big businesses because they just want the money. So you can’t trust anyone really. People believe that Aspartame (artificial sweeteners) is safe because the FDA approved it, but it isn’t safe. Not a bit!”

5. Can you tell me something that most people don’t know about gum that is surprising?

“Pilots aren’t allowed to chew artificial sweetened gum before or during flying or it causes blackouts. That’s another reason to stay away from it. I haven’t had a real horrific experience with gum but I have encountered it. The gum from Starbucks contains aspartame fortunately I looked I the ingredients and threw it away before I became addicted to it. I encountered AcesulfameˆK while drinking a Gatorade Product called Propel. It was horribly sweet and tasted nasty. I looked at the ingredients it said Acesulfame PotassiumˆK (also known as AcesulfameˆK) I had to drain all of the bottles. A few of my friends are addicted to Propel.”

6. Anything else you’d like to say?

“I’d like to add if your on a diet or your diabetic, use a natural sweetener called Stevia, it may seem a bit bitter but if you are staying away from sugar that’s what to use. Or just use sugar alcohols. I am currently doing research on sugar alcohols. It causes few symptoms, but try it for a while and see what happens. Stay away from Aspartame (Equal), Acesulfame-K, Saccharin (Sweet-N-Low), Neotame, Xylitol, Sucralose (Splenda) and other artificial sweeteners. Just stick to sugar!”

Thank you, Alicia. It’s obvious that us dumbasses don’t know nearly as much as you do!

21 comments on “Gum Smack-Talking: The Interview

1. alicia - October 21, 2004 at 2:42 pm -

rofl..thanks
    btw..the dumbasses was just a joke 😛

2. Diann - October 22, 2004 at 11:31 am -

If this is a real commenter, my response follows.

Most reputable scientists consider the popular opinions on Aspartame to be junk science. The laundry list included in the widely-published “92 symptoms” could be caused by many, many things.

Also, sugar is known to cause tooth decay, obesity and eventually diabetes if eaten in excess–all of which lead to bigger, deadlier health problems. Pick your poison…

3. Alicia - October 22, 2004 at 2:09 pm -

It takes tons of sugar to cause “deadlier” health problems. You have tons a sugar a day to equal the amount of problems you will get from Aspartame.

Now days we have more advanced ways to prevent tooth decay.

Aspartame (and other artificial sweeteners) also cause obesity. Aspartame is a “brain drug” which stimulates the brain so that you think that the food you are eating tastes sweet. This may be the reason why Aspartame causes you to crave more carbohydrates which won’t let you lose weight consuming it.

Almost everyone gets symptoms from eating artificial sweeteners. So its quite oblivious that is Artificial Sweeteners that are causing the symptoms. Think about it.

4. Diann - October 23, 2004 at 5:47 am -

I guess I can’t relate. No one I know has ever had any problems with it and we have been using it for years.

I do have a friend who is very into alternative medicine, from the “modern medicine doesn’t know what it’s doing” mindset. He constantly reads this sort of thing and seems to always develop obscure problems from sudden, “widely misunderstood” food allergies to unquantifiable nervous conditions. He seems highly suggestable.

I guess I’d rather be oblivious.

5. lisa - October 23, 2004 at 8:05 am -

I’m guessing that there are both nice and naughty things to be said about aspartame*, sucralose, and sugar, and whatever other sweeteners there are out there of which I’m unaware. What I do know is that the neurologist who pulled me off of the many aspartame-sweetened products I was consuming every day in June also helped me rid myself of the daily debilitating migraine attacks I had suffered for years before. I don’t believe for a minute that there was a cause-and-effect relationship there, that aspartame was causing the migraines, mainly because pulling me off of aspartame was just one of many changes he had me implement in my life at the same time and it would be impossible to identify which ones helped me reduce the migraine frequency, severity, and duration to a ver manageable level. But I do have a lot of respect for this guy as a result of the fact that he was so able to help me and so quickly, so the fact that he said no aspartame means something to me. (Does it mean I agree with everything that Alicia said? Nope. But then, I rarely agree with everything that anyone says.) (I do also find it interesting that he said sucralose, marketed commonly under the brand name Splenda, was fine, and I do consume sucralose-sweetened products pretty often, though less than I consumed aspartame-sweetened ones. Just consuming less sweet stuff generally than I was then. I also found interesting an article I read recently in some magazine citing a study that claims our bodies actually pay attention to the sweetness when deciding how to process calories, so that all this artificial sweetener stuff may not be free-calorie consumption after all, by the time it’s processed. I didn’t read it all that carefully, just tore it out for a re-read later, but noteworthy in this context.)

6. Pauly D - October 23, 2004 at 8:24 am -

Hard-hitting journalism on WFME.

Who woulda thunk?

7. lisa - October 23, 2004 at 2:13 pm -

You mockin’ me, Davidson?

8. Susan - November 21, 2004 at 6:07 am -

I caution on the side of safety. Why put my body/health through anything if there is a chance that it could be harmful. It is terribly hard to do if you don’t read lables as there are many foods that have things in it that you can’t even pronouce. One interesting thing…I am allergic to milk. I was diagnosed with ashma and found out years later it was milk products. No milk, no ashma. When you read products that say non-dairy, I found out they aren’t non-dairy. The manufacturer of one product told me they can put caseinate in their product and because of the amount it can be considered, by law, a non-dairy product. What in the world is up with that????? Then he went on to tell me, “I wouldn’t use it if I were allergic to milk.” So I have to be very careful. Since I have been off milk for over a year if I get any in my system I have a very horrible time. As for aspartame I noticed I was getting to where I NEEDED to chew gum. It’s hard to discribe and this didn’t just happen over night, but I really became concerned. The only positive thing I found for aspartame was it’s own website. The negatives were MANY. I decided to research what the problem might be and was amazed at how much is out there about the product. All you have to do is take the time to research it. Don’t alway like what I hear, but health is so important. It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY if you just take time to think it through. Why would the FDA allow have the products that are out there as safe if it weren’t. Have you ever really listened to those annoying drug commercials. Some of the side effects are horrible.

9. Smith - January 29, 2005 at 3:16 pm -

One more thing to look out for- fructose! Fructose is a type of simple sugar found in fruit. Unlike gluecose, it reduces fat oxidation. No wonder America is one of the most obese countries in the world! It would be pretty hard, though, to completely eliminate it from your diet. Scientists from the USDA did some experiments on rats and found the results to be fatal. They produced anemia, high cholesterol, and heart hypertrophy- thatmeans their hearts enlarged until they exploded- when they were ut on an all fructose diet. Dr. Field explained that fructose in combination with copper difficiency interferes with collagen production. The male rats did not reach adulthood and had delayed testicular development. The females were not as affected, but they were unable to produce live young. That means you can’t drink soda, no gushers, no pop-tarts! Hopefully someone will replace all of this fructose with real sugar or something healthy that won’t ruin the taste!

10. Yasha - March 5, 2005 at 12:57 pm -

Wow, who would have thought my mom was right all these years. Honey and Stevia have been the only sweeteners allowed in our house since I can remember. I still chew gum, thanks for the wakeup because now that I think about it I probably was becoming addicted. I was thinking about how much I needed some gum right when I came to this site!
    I have always been pretty healthy, mostly because of my mom’s dedication to natural/organic food products. I have cheated on occasion and I pretty much eat whatever I want. Everything that was mentioned in the original post and comments struck a chord with me. I was also told I was alergic to milk, but I never had a violent reaction or got sick so I just always drank milk and did whatever I wanted. Then I stopped for about 8 months, during the summer while I was away from home. When I tried to drink milk again I noticed I had a lot of breathing problems, maybe not asthma, but I noticed the diference. Now milk makes me sick to my stomach. I still get ice cream and the occasional milkshake, but now that someone else points it out, it’s obviously not the best idea for total health.
    So, what would anyone suggest is a good lifestyle? I recently moved out on my own and I haven’t really invested the time or money to eating only natural/organic food items. I hear processed foods are also not good for you, most of them have all that fructose and malto-dextrinos whatever stuff. So how would one go about changing their eating habits without going broke or starving?

11. Ryan - March 30, 2005 at 12:19 pm -

So I too am just discovering the horrible things added to gum. I am desperately trying to find a chewing gum that is safe. Alicia eluded to Bazooka and Dubble-Bubble as good alternatives but when I look at the ingredients in these gums they most definitely do not appear to me to be safe.

Bazooka:

Ingredients: Sorbitol, gum base, maltitol syrup, mannitol, natural & artifical flavors, softeners, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, bht (maintain freshness), red 40, phenylketonurics contains pheylalanine

ummm…acesulfame potassium?? not good!!

Dubble-Bubble:

Ingredients
    Sugar , Dextrose , Corn Syrup Glucose , Gum Base , High Fructose Corn Syrup , Corn Starch , Artificial Flavor , Color Including FD&C Red 3 , BHT to Maintain Freshness

BHT, FD&C Red 3…not good either!

ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF A GUM THAT WILL NOT POSE ANY HEALTH RISKS!!!

12. Heidi - August 27, 2005 at 7:21 pm -

Try Classic Dentyne, you can only find at certain stores now because it’s been replaced with the newer sugar free flavors, the original fruit flavored Chiclet gum, and also a gum that I’ve found at a grocery store called Trader Joes, this gum is called ‘Glee Gum’. For ingredients, Glee Gum has: cane sugar, glucose, gum base (contains natural chicle), rice syrup, gum arabic, peppermint oil, resinous glaze, leithin, beeswax, carnauba wax, and chrorophyll. The company that makes this gum is Verve. It tastse pretty good, but I’ve only tried the peppermint flavor. I’ve heard that they make other flavors, but have yet to find them.

13. Debra Kemblowski - February 27, 2006 at 3:18 pm -

I have horrible reactions to fake sugars +processed free glutamic acid(MSG). If anybody wants to learn more about these EXCITOTOXINS, a great place to start is http://www.truthinlabeling.org or search” safety of” msg, aspartame,neotame,sorbitol,etc. I have had a real hard time, and alot of serious migrines,and feeling really sick and tired….because of these DAMNED ingredents. Watch-out…..Medicines are full of this stuff too. And if your skin is reacting…..D-Sorbitol…or Sorbitol solution….is now in ALOT of face and skin products. I’m VERY upset that big business is more important than the safety of the people.Somehow,our FDA,has got to change. In the past month I discovered candy bars are changing the sugars also. Folks;educate yourselfs! We really are what we eat.

14. ignacio - August 21, 2006 at 2:09 pm -

ive been eating trident gum for 2 years 2 times a day, whats gonna happen to me?

15. Peter - August 26, 2006 at 12:27 pm -

I used to chew a lot of Excel gum which contained Aspartame. I developed a very itchy skin condition. The Doctor was at a loss as to what was causing it until one day his wife (a very dedicated vegetarian) came across some of this information and brought it to his attention. He called me to see if I was consuming anything with aspartame in it. I told him just the gum, maybe half a pack a day. He asked me to quit chewing it or switch to wrigglys with sugar and see what happens. Well within 3 days I had started to clear up. the itch was gone, the red rashes started to heal. Within a wek or so I was A OK. I switched to Tridents only non aspartame gum Cherry Flavor, which was good for me. But recently they dropped it and now only sell gum with aspartame. Now I am back to Wriggly’s. You would think these big companies would do some research and see what this crap is doing to there customers and surely realize they are losing customers because of it.
    At least some of the soft drink companies are waking up and introducing pop without aspartame as a sweetener.
    Another case for example was a lady I worked with, now she used to get terrible crippling Migraine headaches. She used to drink diet cola’s every day.
    I had her switch to normal stuff just to see and she went for several weeks with no headaches. But she seemed to be addicted to the diet stuff and went back to it even though her headaches came back 🙁

16. Laura Philips - September 28, 2006 at 4:34 pm -

I too have had bad side affects to artificial sugar. Particularly nutra sweet. Several years ago before anything was known, I had a strokelike symptom after using nutra sweet to try and loose weight. I was only in my 30’s at the time. I went to my doctor and explained what happened. I was fine after about an hour. He immediately told me to STOP using any product containing nutra sweet. He said not all of us respond to medicines the same way, and the same is true with these chemicals. From time to time I do have things containing nutra sweet accidentally. Within a few hours I will get severe pains in my temple of usually one side or the other of my head. The gum issue is horrible. My grandchildren are at risk and our own government does’nt care. They know what is going on. Knowledge brings responsibility!!! Pretty soon we will have to stay home, grown our own food, meat, eggs, milk, etc.. Who can we trust anymore? God is it……john 14:6

17. Stephen - October 14, 2006 at 9:38 pm -

I chew trident Splash strawberrie with lime gum sometimes. It makes me really hyper. Do you know why it would do that? It has Phenylalanine Aspartime in it.

18. Mariah - November 18, 2006 at 11:24 am -

I was addicted to double mint until my dad said something about aspartame and we didn’t know it was in all the gums so we tried to switch to sugar-free gum and it too, had aspartame in it too. So I have been kind of lonely without gum and I’m trying to find a substitute for it . I thank you for giving me this information and I hope you can spread the message to gum chewers like me.

19. Joe - April 9, 2007 at 9:48 am -

How about this. Has anyone proven that people die of intaking sweeters. You people crack me up. You guys don’t think outside the box. If it was so bad for us, why aren’t people dropping like flies then. This is so much BS, it is retared. People like you make me sick to my stomach. All you want is to be noticed. Where I come from it is called attention getter. You must love to get attention. Arthurs of them books are making money off of people like you. Because they know you will spend money to buy there garbage. Them books are money makers. If it is so bad for you, I’m 32 and been chewing gum all my life and I’m in perfect health. SO REALLY THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

20. tourning - September 17, 2007 at 3:47 pm -

I’ve found that chewing whole wheat kernels turns into a gum of sorts, probably gluten, but it’s not terrible and certainly natural.

21. Jamie - January 18, 2008 at 11:34 am -

Is it me or has chewing gum for his whole life turned Joe into
    an obnoxious ass? Seems like as good a reason as any to quit.