Raising Eyebrows

Not to be confused with Raising Arizona.

I have had three people raise their eyebrows at me lately, which has communicated three things to me.

1. They have not had botox injections, or else they would have no ability to express any kind of eyebrow raising emotional reactions.
2. They are either excited, concerned or interested in something I am doing.
3. They are confident that they have plucked all stray eyebrow hairs from their brow.

I’m feeling like people are doing a lot of eyebrow raising lately in the current climate and I’m unsure what’s caused it to become so popular. Everywhere I go there’s some fool raising their eyebrows at me. It’s weird. Is it just me? Is there some underground group of do-gooders going around each day with the goal of raising their eyebrows at unsuspecting victims in an attempt to cause the non-eyebrow raising public to wonder together in a collective wondering-thought, just what’s so exciting or interesting about them?

I don’t think it has anything to do with the stray piece of toilet paper on my shoe, FYI.

8 comments on “Raising Eyebrows

1. Ed - March 31, 2004 at 1:21 pm -

I work with an anti browbeating task force. There has been some talk lately of a rise in eyebrow rising incidents. We take that “browing” seriously out here on the streets. Yeah it starts innocently enough when someone is excited or they have muscle spasm. Next thing you know they have the eyebrow monkey on their back and they can’t say a sentence without lifting an eyebrow, using the “in the air quotes” or talking in italics. I am just glad that you have made people aware of this and I hope that people will be a little more mindful before they emote.

2. fabe - March 31, 2004 at 1:27 pm -

Maybe you had a piece of spinach plastered to your cheek and they were politely trying to get your attention. If I had a nickel…

3. chase - March 31, 2004 at 3:13 pm -

ok, deja vu. i just actively raised my eyebrows today at the bank AND wrote about it 30 minutes ago. but it was more of a weird “wait, am i on Punk’d or Scare Tactics” eyebrow raise than anything else…

4. Cranky Greg - March 31, 2004 at 10:51 pm -

As one who can raise his eyebrows, one at a time in menacing fashion, I suspect you are a noneyebrow-raising person. With therapy you should get over it! Or, you can try eyebrow exercises. Good luck!!

Raising Arizona was one hell of a funny movie.

5. Robbie - April 1, 2004 at 12:23 am -

It’s way too late for me to read and comment on all your words today but I will be back to put in my two cents regarding “She-Bang” Hung. I just wanted to pop in here to say that YOU ROCK!!!! I got the book today. You are indeed a man of YOUR word! I look forward to reading it and will surely do a pimping review of it in my journal, not until the semester is over though. Thanks!

6. Kat - April 1, 2004 at 10:26 am -

There are two kinds of eyebrow raises. The first, which I think you are referencing, is the menacing “what the hell is wrong with you?” kind. But there’s the other one, the “how YOU doin'” kind, that’s not so bad.

7. Danielle LaFleur - April 1, 2004 at 10:35 am -

Did you know that in Samoa raising your eyebrows is a standard form of reply, a way to ask a question, and a form of giving directions. I know this because while I living in the South Pacific I was engaged to a Samoan. (Btw every girl should have at least one engagement to a Cabana Boy.)

I digress….

The relationship ended after a complicated set of eyebrow movements. I wasn’t sure if he wanted me to get fish for dinner or board the plane for Djibouti.

True story! 😉

8. Pauly D - April 1, 2004 at 10:41 am -

Aaah, the Samoan.

I love Girl Scout cookies.